Showcase Soligor 200mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by fractal, Jul 6, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    DSC08915-XL.

DSC08912-XL.

DSC08911-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Like #3 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    DSC09072-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Took this lens to Bucknell University for an indoor "long course" swim meet. I used a monopod to provide some stabilization while sitting in the stands and tried to get off shots at a shutterspeed of 1/200 sec to 1/400 sec. This required me to constantly adjust my aperture; sometimes shooting as low as f/2.8 up to f/5.6 and ISO between 800 and 3200 with most at 1600. In addition, I was manually focusing using focus peaking; which means I was full manual everything. :p  My hit rate was about 30-40%. I was really wishing I could get on deck but that was not allowed. Adjusting all the controls on the fly was challenging but also fun. Sometimes I would set up a "zone" in one of the lanes to focus on and then wait for my son ( and/or other swimmers) to hit that zone and fire away ( using speed priority shutter speed ). I also shot in RAW and did PP in Lightroom. I may run some of these shots through DXO Prime noise reduction because I'm not totally satisfied with LR's NR. It just takes forever in DXO.

Most of these ( if not all ) are also cropped 20-50%.

DSC09286-XL.

DSC09284-XL.

DSC09288-XL.

DSC09342-XL.

this was not cropped and was able to shoot it at ISO400 - the IQ is pretty good, it's just not a very interesting picture.

DSC09339-XL.

Overall, the results came out better than I expected with this lens. I have primarily used the SEL 18-200mm for sports, but at 200mm it's shooting at f/6.5 which isn't great in these tough lighting environments. I did shoot some with the SEL 18-200mm (hand held using OSS) at this meet and I found that I couldn't shoot action much faster than 1/200 sec.

• Like Like x 3
  5. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nothing like shooting sports full manual. It's a challenge but the results can be worth it.

Some water polo shots I took over the weekend. I used the Soligor 200mm and the SEL 18-200mm. The Sony lens was much easier to use with AF and OSS but the results from the Soligor were much nicer ( shooting at ISO 1600 vs. 3200 helps ).
    These are all hand held - did not bring my monopod. I was sitting and braced my elbows on my legs. I am now convinced my focal length is longer than 200mm when using the Soligor with adapter. My field of view is tighter with the Soligor than the SEL @ 200mm.

These are taken from the same game shot in RAW and using the same LR preset; what do you think?

Soligor @ f/4 and ISO 1600

DSC01855-XL.

DSC01862-XL.

DSC01890-XL.

SEL 18-200mm @ f/6.3 and ISO 3200

DSC01837-XL.

DSC01849-XL.

I would love the Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8 with the Amount AF adapter but that combo would set me back around $1,000. For about $180 I got the Soligor + MD adapter.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.