1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Soligor 200mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by fractal, Jul 6, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Like #3 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Took this lens to Bucknell University for an indoor "long course" swim meet. I used a monopod to provide some stabilization while sitting in the stands and tried to get off shots at a shutterspeed of 1/200 sec to 1/400 sec. This required me to constantly adjust my aperture; sometimes shooting as low as f/2.8 up to f/5.6 and ISO between 800 and 3200 with most at 1600. In addition, I was manually focusing using focus peaking; which means I was full manual everything. :p My hit rate was about 30-40%. I was really wishing I could get on deck but that was not allowed. Adjusting all the controls on the fly was challenging but also fun. Sometimes I would set up a "zone" in one of the lanes to focus on and then wait for my son ( and/or other swimmers) to hit that zone and fire away ( using speed priority shutter speed ). I also shot in RAW and did PP in Lightroom. I may run some of these shots through DXO Prime noise reduction because I'm not totally satisfied with LR's NR. It just takes forever in DXO.

Most of these ( if not all ) are also cropped 20-50%.

DSC09286-XL.

DSC09284-XL.

DSC09288-XL.

DSC09342-XL.

this was not cropped and was able to shoot it at ISO400 - the IQ is pretty good, it's just not a very interesting picture.

DSC09339-XL.

Overall, the results came out better than I expected with this lens. I have primarily used the SEL 18-200mm for sports, but at 200mm it's shooting at f/6.5 which isn't great in these tough lighting environments. I did shoot some with the SEL 18-200mm (hand held using OSS) at this meet and I found that I couldn't shoot action much faster than 1/200 sec.

• Like Like x 3
  5. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nothing like shooting sports full manual. It's a challenge but the results can be worth it.

Some water polo shots I took over the weekend. I used the Soligor 200mm and the SEL 18-200mm. The Sony lens was much easier to use with AF and OSS but the results from the Soligor were much nicer ( shooting at ISO 1600 vs. 3200 helps ).
    These are all hand held - did not bring my monopod. I was sitting and braced my elbows on my legs. I am now convinced my focal length is longer than 200mm when using the Soligor with adapter. My field of view is tighter with the Soligor than the SEL @ 200mm.

These are taken from the same game shot in RAW and using the same LR preset; what do you think?

Soligor @ f/4 and ISO 1600

DSC01855-XL.

DSC01862-XL.

DSC01890-XL.

SEL 18-200mm @ f/6.3 and ISO 3200

DSC01837-XL.

DSC01849-XL.

I would love the Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8 with the Amount AF adapter but that combo would set me back around $1,000. For about $180 I got the Soligor + MD adapter.

• Like Like x 2