1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Soligor 200mm 2.8 in Minolta mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by fractal, Jun 18, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I picked up another non-native lens for the NEX-7. Soligor 200mm f2.8 in Minolta mount for about $150 . The lens is in fantastic condition and feels very solid.

DSC09789-XL.

It came with a nifty leather carrying case...

[​IMG]

For my longer length shots I've been using the Sony SEL 18-200mm 3.5/6.3. It does have stabilization but is slow on the long end which requires me to shoot a higher ISO than I want for sports/action shots (especially when indoors). I'll be comparing the two over the next few weeks.

I did manage to take a few shots of hanging flowers on my deck as the sun was setting. I did some PP in LR and what I found was that I had to add a decent amount of contrast, but overall I'm pleased with these first results. The third shot I believe was in f/4 while the rest at f/2.8. The big test for this lens will be on Saturday at my daughter's dance recital.

DSC07652-XL.

DSC07653-XL.

DSC07648-XL.

DSC07654-XL.

• Like Like x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Looks very good stopped down ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Have fun

• Like Like x 1
  4. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Wow - looks great! I've been on the fence about my Soligor 300mm (minolta mount). Have yet to try it out, although I DID mount it to my NEX 3N and get a good chuckle at the looks. It seems SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than your 200mm. It was given to me with a bunch of manual focus gear last year so I haven't even gotten to try it out on a film camera yet. Looks like the results could be pleasing....IF I use a tripod! ;)

-James

• Like Like x 1
  5. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Yes, you must try it out and share results!

Comparing this lens with my SEL 18-200mm;

This lens with adapter is a bit longer than the Sony 18-200 and may be a bit heavier but not by much ( at least that's my impression without actually weighing them). The SEL 18-200 was really designed for the Emount camcorder and is a hefty lens ( but can do a lot) While the Sony is metal and feels solid, there is a certain "toughness" that the Soligor has. Like you could use it to club somebody over the head, or tenderize meat and then go out and take pictures with it.

There is a lot of CA when I shot wide open into the sun and I was having trouble removing it in LR. This lens and the Minolta 50mm 1.4 Rokkor do have a certain "look" and character that the modern lenses don't. One thing I noticed - these lenses, while not as sharp don't seem to produce as much noise with the NEX-7 as my native lenses do; not sure why. They also seem to produce a more "film like" result. At the same time, I feel I'm not able to manipulate the RAW files as well as with the native lenses in PP. Some shots I took with the Soligor into the sun created so much "haze" and flare that even with extensive PP I could not create a usable image.

What I do have, however is a much faster lens at 200mm, which paired with a tri-pod or monopod or braced should give me shots I couldn't get with the SEL 18-200. I'm looking forward to playing around with it this summer and testing it at the recital.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I would be curious to know if you see any less of the native lens noise if you turn off SteadyShot.

7. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Last evening I did a quick comparison test between the Soligor 200mm 2.8 and the SEL 18-200mm (f/6.3 @ 200mm).

From my front stoop my aim was my lamp post. I used ISO 200 for each shot and adjusted the shutter speed to get to "0" exposure reading. Both are handheld. The Soligor shot went off at 1/640 of a second and despite looking very shaky in the viewfinder the shot came out decent.

DSC07671-XL.

I zoomed to 200mm with the SEL and kept the camera in manual focus. With OSS, the image stayed true in the viewfinder. At f/6.3 I dropped my shutter speed to 1/250 sec and was still slightly underexposed. Here's the result...

DSC07672-XL.

The Soligor image is obviously softer but it was also taken at f/2.8 vs. f/6.3. I wanted to test the lenses at equal ISO and I ended up being somewhat impressed with the SEL and the power of OSS. It seems the real benefit for the Soligor will be in darker situations shooting at a moving target. That however remains to be seen as I don't have AF with the prime lens which I'm sure will make things more challenging. Using a tripod will also make a big difference. Another surprise to me was the "wider" view of the SEL. Both of these images are the RAW files untouched and converted to JPG. I know I had the SEL zoomed out to 200mm so I'm not sure why I have a wider field of view. Perhaps it's the adapter on the Soligor?

8. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    lol!!

thx for posting these pics, i've wanted to see what that lens can do for awhile.

imho, comparisons at the same aperture would be interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    is the 200mm on the SEL the actual focal length of the lens or the EFFECTIVE focal length? If it's the effective, that would explain why it's wider than the Soligor. Other than that, i can't imagine why it would be wider!
    I concur!

10. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    200mm is the actual focus length at the long end of the SEL. I'll have to do some tests at the same aperture.