Sold my Nikon D5100 for a NEX

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by suntoryjim, May 17, 2013.

1. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    Greetings from San Francisco.

I'm a recent mirrorless user (Oly E-PL2 and E-PL5), turned full-on convert after having just sold my Nikon D5100 and ordered a NEX-F3 w/kit lens from the Sony online store for $399 (roughly $50 less than what it is going for right now on Amazon and the other big camera shops). Incredible deal, IMO.

Primary reason for unloading the Nikon in favor of the NEX is the 1.5 crop factor with the legacy lenses that I've currently adapted to my Oly bodies, plus Sony's legendary focus peaking (the Oly Key Line filter hack is good and useable under ideal lighting conditions, but not great and certainly not its intended use). Lack of IBIS, I believe, can be somewhat compensated for with the NEX's better high-ISO performance and AMB mode. I'm eager to find out for myself.

Having played around with the NEX-F3 at my local Fry's Electronics beforehand, I immediately preferred its grip and ergonomics over my PEN cameras. I think that small form factor is great for devices that you don't hold and manipulate in your hand, but to breach the limit of comfort and useability in the process is designing small for the sake of being small.

Anyway, should get my NEX in 5-7 business days. Can't wait to toss the kit lens in a drawer and slap on my Canon FD 24 2.8. ;)
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Welcome another convert.

I too have the F3 and love it. My only concern would be coming from DSLR land you might be missing a few features that the NEX 6&7 have.

Anyway, enjoy:D
  3. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Yannis Marigo
    Welcome !

And enjoy the FD 24mm f2.8 - nice one.
  4. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
  5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Welcome.... You ordered your adapter right?
  6. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    I'm about to...including external battery charger and spare battery, and extra NEX rear lens cap.:)
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Welcome to both the forum and the NEX. I think you're going to like using that 24 on the F3. :)
  8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
  9. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    You should order the FD to nex speed booster and tell us how it is. ;)
  10. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Lens Turbo is top on my list of souvenirs to bring home from my upcoming trip to Hong Kong next month.
  11. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Just got my F3 yesterday evening. Wow...focus peaking is awesome. It eliminates almost all of the guess work and "squinting at magnified view" from my manual focusing workflow.

Now I'm set on buying 3 more adapters to re-adapt my 2 other Canon FDs and 1 Konica Hexanon to E-mount.:D