Sold my 7 + 24

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lowincash, Mar 10, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Let me first say that the Sony NEX-7 and Zeiss 24mm f1.8 lens has been my most favoritest combo ever. Add on the legacy lenses and it's a ton of fun to use. It was a tough decision and I was lucky enough to have played with it for a couple of months. I was also lucky to have sold it for almost the same price I bought it for. Sadly I left my SD card in it and the guy thought I gave it to him so he already reformatted the card :( But I did get the card back though.

Anyways, I went back to the m43 camera, the Olympus OM-D E-M5. I still very much love the retro look and also wanted to have IBIS. I know the image quality won't be quite as good as the NEX but it's a compromise I had to make. Who knows, if money allows, I would one day be able to afford both cameras :D

I don't know if this is GAS? lol

2. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    If you would be able to afford both would you keep the Nex 7? Was the lack of IBIS very important to you? I'm asking because I want to buy 5n (the 7 is far too expensive for me) keep my E-pl3 and sell all the other m4/3 bodies I have - EP2 and G3. This would work if only the 5n will be used with a couple of lens and legacy lens.

Well maybe this is GAS for me because I don't really see why I should buy a Nex if not to use with legacy glasses.

3. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Yes I would definitely keep both. The 7 is just so comfortable to hold and easy to use. I can shoot one handed without any problem. I've actually thought about getting the 5n and E-M5 together but my budget won't allow this as of yet. I found a local seller selling 5n body for $500, very tempting =/ But I'd much rather wait till I can afford to have both cameras then get the 7 again. I like having the built in EVF. Actually I was going to just sell the Zeiss lens and use that money towards the Oly but then decided to sell the whole thing so I can get a couple m43 lenses too (12mm and 45mm).

I've always loved the retro slr look but wished it comes in a digital form, and looks like Olympus answered. I also wanted to try out their 5 axis IBIS with the legacy lenses. I had the GF1 when it first came out and used the 20mm 1.7 lens. I then went to the G3 and E-P3. I still have the 20mm lens somewhere and will use that for now.

I think the NEX cameras are best for using legacy lenses. I really enjoy having focus peaking. This is something I'm going to miss. I also don't really like to shoot high ISO and for indoor shots the longer lenses get shaky so that's why I want to try a camera with IS to see how that works out.

4. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I also have the G3 and it's a very good camera but I think I'll sell it and maybe my new EP2 (the Special Black Edition which I love) to buy the 5n and try the Nex. As I said I'll keep the Epl3 for IBIS and jpegs OOC because I'm a jpg shooter. Also for fast AF and awesome AWB. If the Nex proves nearly the same then I can make other decisions.