software advice please

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by adwb, Oct 27, 2015.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I need a advice please on software to specifically work on a notebook running XP.

The imaging software must be able to :-
    1. must work with files from A7Rmk2
    2. allow me to reorder the images
    3. then allow me to rename them starting with the first one as ABCD_1 ABCD _2 and so on.
    I have tried a old version of LR [v3] that I have but it takes up so much screen space that you have to keep opening and closing side bars to see anything.#

I thought good old google picassa but i can't see how to rename as in point 3

thanks Alistair

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Faststone Image Viewer, freeware, more resource friendly, so it should run fine on XP. (But don't quote me. )
    If you're going to process RAWs, it won't handle the latest Sony ARW files. But if it's for JPEGs, I think it is more useful than Picasa.
    Batch file renaming available. File tagging. Superior sharpening tool, and clone and heal tool.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    BTW,
    Picasa won't process the latest RAW files from a Sony either.
    Picasa can do file renaming/numbering. Somewhat simple manner, but works. But few renaming options other than simple counter.

4. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Thanks I wil give faststone a try

5. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Many people like photomechanic. I'd usually recommend Capture 1 but while you can get rid of many of the side panels you still get some. Doesn't cost Sony users anything (for the Sony only version) so that might be worth a try too.