1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sock Hop

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Zanner, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    • Like Like x 4
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Very cute. I like the last one. However, I must qualify this by saying I'm a newbie too.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cute, like the 2nd one.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I didn't know, is there another way? Oh yes, I remember: the Auto button :).

The first one is by far my favorite, the processing in the other ones doesn't add something special IMHO. I think I'd play with the highlights and vibrancy sliders to better show the color of the skirt. I feel the cropping at the bottom is a bit too tight, I'd like to see some more room between skirt and border. This is nitpicking though, I really like the simplicity of the picture, cute girl in a festive outfit, looking forward to a great occasion (at least, that's how I see it). I also like the expression you managed to capture while she is obviously posing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    She completely poses on her own, I swear to you! I said "I'm going to go get my camera", came back upstairs, and there she was fluffing her dress out on the living room floor sitting like that. So I chuckled and hopped up on the piano stool to get a high spot to shoot. She is just like my sister (who was a model), a natural poser. ;)

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    She's addorable that for sure and that's a great pose ;)

I like the composition :thumbup: From those 3 shots I personally prefer the 1st (original) photo. Just like Ad, the effects applied on the other two simply don't add something special IMHO. If it were me, I'd probably try a B&W conversion ;)
    What I don't like is the fact that the photo is a little on the noisy side (for me at least - I like my portraits to be as noise free as possible - soft skin appearance especially in kids photos thus I play with the noise reduction slider a lot :D ) and looks like slightly out of focus. What ISO was this shot at? Also, the shadow on the girls check/neck bothers me a little.

Also just for the record, I should mention that clicking on the flickr links doesn't work (brings an error message)

8. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I would also say the only thing bothering me is the grain - it looks like maybe it's been added rather than being a high ISO shot?

I have seen a trend recently of people adding grain to shots - personally not a fan, I always aim for as little as possible!

9. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I prefer the first one as it has more natural skin tones. You have a really cute subject there who looks comfortable posing for you. That is not always the case with some kids.

10. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    No the ISO was at 6400 due to my house being very dark all around. Plus it was dusk out. I don't like the grain either, but I didn't know how else to get light in the shot. I'm not good at night time pictures. ;)
    I had my Pentax 50mm 1.4 on the camera and I think it was at f/2.8.

I'll play with it some more in LR and see if I can't get it better. Thanks all!

11. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Fair enough, given the conditions then you don't have much choice bar a super steady hand!
    I guess wide open at 3200 was an option but I presume at the cost of a bit of sharpness.

It's a nice shot regardless :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk