• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Social distancing...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Agreed Richard. My youngest granddaughter had her sixth birthday yesterday. We stood at the front door while my daughter and grandkids stood on the front walk. The birthday girl was ok considering (and was picking up her presents after all), the grandson was sad yet managing, but my oldest granddaughter was crying and had tears running down her face because she could not come over and give us a hug.

This damned virus - and I mean damned - needs to be vanquished.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
We only get to see our grandkids via Facetime. Japan is on a totally different time zone than we are. The one in CA is too little to understand what is going on. Staying away is easier for us I guess.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It's rough on the kids. Today I saw my kids staring through the window with tears flowing down their faces. I could have let them in but, social distancing is social distancing...
Well, here's me thinking that you had put your children out on the street in the cause of social distancing, which would, of course, have been a joke. The sort of joke that some of my dry-humour Northern-England relatives might make.

But if not... then I'm sorry for the inappropriate response, and the same picture all at once turns sad.

Here, we are respecting our government's lockdown instructions. I feel it is absolutely for our own safety anyway. The secure place to be is in the house.

This is the first time in my life that I have (a) been in the at-risk category (that was always someone else) and (b) felt that I do not know who amongst us all will still be around in a few months time. That is something my parents would have lived with through WW2, and my grandparents through two world wars and a major epidemic.

The separation of the generations (I only have cats, and my wife's family is more subject to disagreement than disease) must be a loss of comfort, and a source of sadness to many.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I posted some pics of Lucy from this morning. They turned up through the side gate as the weather was fine and they were able to stay outside. We played a bit with her and she enjoyed pushing us about to play "her" game of taking it in turns to kick the ball. What I keep seeing in her eyes in uncertainty ..... I cannot describe that look as it's just so transparent on the face of a two year old who hasn't learnt to mask her feelings. It makes me soooo sad. The suspicion that somehow her extended family are not "good" in some way. My eldest daughter has gone back to teaching "reception" class at school. These little ones are not much older than Lucy, rising fives. They normally teach a class of 30 but in two separate classes but now they have a "bubble" of 7 each with strict separation between the two classes in the same year. Not all kids have to return to school legally here, it depends entirely upon the wishes of the parents. Of course Key Workers have continued to work throughout the crisis as our local hospital is only about a mile or so from the school and they needed to be free to work. I worry about poor Lucy as she has no siblings and at 2 and a half years old she needs contact with other children. Sometimes just seems so hopeless.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
We saw our son and daughter-in-law the other weekend. Granddaughter too. No social distancing since they are family and had been in isolation out in Palm Springs for the last month or so. Shelby is something else. Smart as a whip and talks in full on sentences that make you wonder sometimes. Almost scary.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
<-- She bit me.

No hard feelings, she didn't really mean to, and she was most embarrassed about it. She's fit, inoculated herself, and there is zero chance of rabies, but I'm taking the injections anyway. Can give a sore muscle, but better in ten minutes.

I'm up for whatever corona vaccine comes my way, although my wife may not be.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
My wife and I just received Moderna Vaccination #2 and except for a darned sore shoulder are none for the worse.
Richard, it's now been nearly 24 hours since you posted this message. How do you feel now? A few friends and colleagues did had mild-to-moderate reactions after the second shot - usually starting 12-24 hours later and lasting about 24 hours. They complained of fatigue, headache and body aches. Then all was well a day later.

Latest threads

Top Bottom