1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

So who is getting the A7 III?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Heck yes, I already pre-ordered!

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No, I'm happy with what I have.

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. I'll hold off and let the early adopters work out the kinks before deciding.

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I'd rather spend $2000 USD on a nice trip!

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm just wondering who's planning to get an A7 III? I'm selling a bunch of stuff off to make room, but I'm actually still on the fence if I'm going to buy one right away. I know it'll be a lot better than the A7 II, but frankly I get pretty decent shots on the older body!

So who's getting one? :D 

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I'm satisfied with what I have for my type of shooting. But I'm also not making a living with photography. If I plan to upgrade, an A7Riii is more likely for landscapes and macros.
    The only annoyance I've ran into a few times is the A7ii's buffer while shooting uncompressed RAW and JPEG.

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I have a birthday coming up next month but I don't think it's in the budget to get one of them. I still haven't stretched the A7ii to its limits yet either so really no need.
    I'll probably just get some new old glass for it. Or take a trip, who knows?

4. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    I think I would add an a6500 to my A7ii first. I picked up an a5100 during the borrow lenses sale and I've been really impressed by it.
    Anyway I don't think the a7iii improvements would make much difference in my style shooting.
    I have also noticed a bunch of people dropping the 7riii for the 7iii. IMO if your doing that your just chasing the newest gear and there's no way I can afford to do that.
    I think I'm looking more forward to tamrons new line of E lenses. Hoping affordable is in their strategic vision..

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I know you aren't doing this, but I don't know who would do this. They had someone post something like this over at DPR and was utterly trashed at the nonsense.

Unless someone really need smaller files because your workflow and computer can't handle the 42mpx file size, there is literally no reason to sell an A7RIII and lose money to get a lesser camera. The A7RIII has significant hardware upgrades and functions. This applies to IQ as well as usability in that it has a far better EVF and LCD. The only supposed advantage the A7III has is a near imperceptible advantage in low-light when shooting above 6400 ISO and a buffer that handles 100+ images vs 80+ due to smaller files not larger buffer. How many people live and die on whether a camera handles ISO 12800+ or depends on being able to shoot 100+ consecutive captures? Honestly, downgrading just to get the latest tech is silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    The FM listings had several immediately after the pre-orders were announced. " 7riii is more camera than I need" or "the 7iii fits my current needs better" were probably the most common reasons. There is some logic to it, but those who are doing it never needed the 7riii to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I don't get those people! It's not like Sony lags on camera releases, they've been pretty steady and predictable and the A7 III was coming down the pipeline!

For me, I just prefer the manageable file sizes of 24mp images since I'm a heavy volume shooter for event and portrait work. I'm just trying to decide if the features of the A7 III are worth it for my needs. I mainly use my A7 II for portrait/street shooting and also as an auxiliary body in conjunction with my Nikon FF cameras. The A7 III gets closer to replacing my Nikon kit and consolidating everything to mirrorless. Decisions!

8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I've seen more people thinking about A7Rii -> A7iii (not sure how many are actually doing it). I can actually see debating A7iii vs A7Riii if you have not yet bought either one, particularly budget-wise. But going from A7Riii -> A7iii is a little crazy, since at that point you have already spent the money anyway.

I would like the newer sensor, and better low-light performance over my A7ii. But I don't use autofocus much or do video, so not a lot of reasons to go there apart from GAS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Currently I have A7RII and A6500. Between those and my growing collection of lenses I have all my photography needs covered.

Even though I could replace both of those bodies with either an A7III or A7RIII.

But I trully love my RII. It has apps.

Dilemmas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Being primarily and landscape/cityscape shooter there is no way I would trade my 42mp no AA filter A7RII for a 24mp camera no matter how much better the A7III is overall. Once you use a high-res sensor it really does spoil you. I have created completely new pictures by just cropping differently and still end up with a 24mp image.

Don't get me wrong the speed, battery, and focus capability would certainly be welcomed, but for me I would only upgrade to the A7RIII and that's out of my price range for now.
    FWIW - I plan on buying an a6500 for the times I need focus speed for action. That makes more sense to me. Especially since the a6500 has the crop factor and virtually no blackout @8FPS.
    @Tipton@Tipton you have the combo I crave :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Owning an A7 and A7ii and shooting a combination of landscape and wedding photos, I would upgrade to the A7iii IF I had the budget (which currently I don’t have). The A7iii is the perfect camera FOR ME and IMO priced very reasonably. I’m gonna buy 1-2 more native lenses and upgrade the body after one or two years :) 

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'd start to consider getting an A7M3 when I get really annoyed by the limited AF point coverage of my A7R2; at the moment I usually mount MF lenses on my camera so the point is moot. No way I'm going to give up 42 MP so I'd keep my A7R2. Replacing the A7R2 by the A7R3 still gives the limited AF point coverage, so for that it isn't an option. All-in-all, I'm not really tempted to buy another body alongside the A7R2 and A7 I already have. For now that is, because when I get interested in a new field of photography, I may change my mind just like that.

13. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    My A7ii (AKA A7M2, A7m2, A7II) is working well. I do not happen to be in the market for a new camera at this time. I have my eye on an announced lens that is not available yet....

So the improvements in the specifications do not matter to me at this time.

14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Agree with your points Ad and we're in the same boat.
    However, one thing you said shows how spoiled we've become in the world of Sony.
    The A7RII 68% PDAF coverage is far more than any DSLR I can think of and just about every mirrorless camera except the new Sonys. I actually never realized that until I read it in a recent article and checked out the D850 and 5DIV only to find everything dead center.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    My GAS/heart says go for it but my practical side, influenced by the Pres & CEO of our small company says, enjoy what you already have. She has the same comment when I start considering another gun to my collection:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, the A7R2 already offers quite a large PDAF area compared to a lot of other cameras. However, I like to place my subjects in the corner or near the edge and more than once (continuous) AF started to hunt when doing that, so that's why I brought up the point. These days I often use a Loxia 2/35 or a legacy 28mm so no AF, just guessing focus and that works too most of the time. And yes, we're spoiled, the cameras are superb, I never had so much fun with photography as I have today.

17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sell off a few guns and you'll have enough for an A9! ;)  There are some things we collect in our lives that have a high opportunity cost, and low value of return.
    I learned that lesson from my Swiss watch collection....what a waste of 'time'. ;)  pun intended.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I've never considered selling any of my guns. My sense is one looses his/her behind and the remorse sets in. I did sell my Nikon D60 to fund my A7 II and I gave my old Pentax Spotmatic 35 camera to one of my staff. I regret both because my wife would have enjoyed the D60 and, with adaptors, I could have used the Nikon and Takumar lenses on my A 7 II. If I'm honest with myself, I must admit that my A7 II is adequate for my shooting needs, as are most of my 20 plus firearms, so I must discipline myself to focus on adding lenses.

19. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I have the A7 Classic and was considering the A7RII for a while. But I wanted the more advanced autofocus and tracking abilities of the A9 and A7RIII. And the new battery. But I really don't need 42mp. My gut told me to wait a few months for the A7III. I was right - at least for me. I'll spend the difference in price with the higher-end siblings on an extra lens or two.

• Like Like x 1
  20. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    No-brainer for me, who still uses an A7. After getting the Batis 25, there's virtually no lens I need anymore (I have 16mm to 90mm completely covered with zooms and primes), but an upgrade in body was now top priority. The A7rIII was tempting but decided to wait and see what the A7iii would look like. I wasn't disappointed. Currently on pre-order but out of stock everywhere where I am right now.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.