1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

So what did I learn?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 30, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Over the past few months I have been on an strange journey. About a year ago I bought a Fuji X-E1, XF35 and XF18-55 and gave my NEX 5n to my son. I felt like the Fuji was very Leica like and I wanted to have that. I liked the Fuji (and it a good camera) but I noticed that I was making a lot less images. I attributed it to being busy at work (or some other handy excuse). I gave up the Fuji for a number of reasons and when I could I picked up a NEX 6. Again I was making fewer images and this time the reasons were equally serious and just as stupid. The holidays rolled around and I bought an a6000 which anyone on these boards as of late probably realizes i didn't care for at all. I returned the a6000 and found myself without any camera so I picked up a scratch and dent Fuji X10 for $99 just to have something to play with. I found that the X10 was fun to use and i started to take more images but something still felt off. Then I saw my old 5n sitting under a pile of dirty laundry in my son's room with a massive dent in the filter ring of the Hexanon 35/2.8 I had also given him. I picked up the camera to put it away and i noticed how nicely it sat in my hand. Then it all hit me.

What was the common denominator of all the cameras I had been shooting with after the 5n? They all had EVFs. Now, I'm not anti-EVF but I like using the rear LCD instead. I realize that I am a minority in this but I like what I like. Of course why would a camera having an EVF throw me for such a loop? What I realized it wasn't the camera per se but the way I hold them. The 5n just falls naturally into my hand. With an adapted lens mounted I typically shoot form the hip with one hand on the lens (holding it from below). The other hand is on the grip but rotated so my thumb can switch it on and off and operate the shutter. My pinkie can flip up the screen. Because of where my thumb sits on top of the camera it is also easy to jump down to do MF assist or hit the bottom of the wheel for exposure comp. When I was using the cameras with EVFs I would hold it like you would a camera when you were going to hold it up to your eye. Even on camera WITH a flip down screen I was holding it wrong so everything felt out of place and uncomfortable.

I went out this morning with the 5n and a Canon 50/1.4 SSC and it was an absolute joy. The camera disappeared and it was effortless.

23778360080_9ca9d5d17c_b.
    shifting gears
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

23444965364_9c9b29c1d4_b.
    warm
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I reclaimed my 5n by bribing my son. He had been eyeing my X10 so I bought him one just like mine. He is happy to have AF and 1cm macro and I have my 5n back.

So what did I learn? I learned that apparently I am very picky when it comes to hand positions and holding a camera. I also learned that being comfortable with the tool is can trump specifications and new cool features.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It sounds like you also learned that a Leica might not suit you either since most of those are used with an eye level viewfinder.

I go back and forth on this one. I used an E-P3 happily and often without an eye finder and then switched to cameras which I mostly hold to the eye. Feel comfortable both ways with small lenses but tend to prefer the eye level with bigger lenses.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    LOL yep, my fantasy of Leica ownership took a bit of a hit there didn't it? Of course the price would have probably kept me out anyway. I also learned that I like flippy screens as well and if you do buy something new keep the old one around until you are sure.

That said, I just bought an Olympus OMD E-M10 (the old one) that I plan to pair up with a Panasonic 20 as a walk around/travel kit (as much as I love adapted lenses I don't like to travel with them). Of course this time around I am not replacing something nor is the camera a stand in for some other thing that I really want. I played with a friends, I liked it a lot. My only expectations for this camera is that it take pictures and no knobs fall off.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The Holy Grail. :cloud-9-039:

• Like Like x 2
  5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The less I notice it the more I like it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I think we all learned from that experience. There is no one camera fits all. The one persons holy grail can be the next persons worst nightmare. Maybe you shouldn't go for an Olympus but get yourself a couple of small AF lenses for the 5n instead.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think the 5n and adapted lenses are such a nice paring that I'm going to just let it do what it does best and not tinker with it anymore.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Like any tool some are better than others and sometimes you need a specific tool for a specific job. For shooting my adapted lenses I have a nice groove going with my 5n. I just didn't recognize it at first. It doesn't need to be better than anything else. I just need to be able to make the images I want with it.

When I gave up my 5n last year I think at some level I knew I was making a mistake going down the rabbit hole with the Fuji then later the NEX 6 and a6000. Ah well, live and learn.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  9. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    In my box of Sony gear lie a Nex-5 and 5N - my first mirrorless system cameras - without battery and memory card.
    A few times I thought to reactivate and use them with the knowledge I've got until now. AF won't be up to par but I prefer adapted lenses, too.
    So I understand this decision.

10. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Whatever works for you. For me, it's the opposite. I bought an Olympus E-P5 a while ago and its lack of an EVF drove me nuts. The external EVF was clumsy and inconvenient so that didn't work either. I'll now only consider a camera if it's got a good in-built EVF.