1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

so very much better for (belatedly) owning a sony nex (f3)

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by stefan22, Nov 19, 2013.

1. stefan22

stefan22 New to TalkEmount

Nov 19, 2013
    hello fellow sony camera owners.
    I am a relative latecomer in owning/using a sony (nex) camera.
    I always wondered whether all the praise was warranted?..well now I know!
    IT WAS!
    my camera is only a relatively inexpensive f3...and I have quickly come to the conclusion/opinion that it is most surely the BEST £ for £ value camera (from either sony or any other brand) that money can buy...and when paired with an evf it becomes (for me) a totally satisfying complete camera.
    is there a better value sony camera? the sony 6 does draw much praise and IS more advanced in several areas but does it represent such good value (especially when bought used) as the f3/evf combo?
    I am sure that my introduction will have me repeating what has been said many times before...but I find the f3 so damn tactile. so damn nice to handle.
    my only real niggle is the prohibitive cost of sony lenses.
    I don't have too much in the way of extras. I have (as mentioned) the evf - which, despite it's high cost, I find to be invaluable - and a 16mm wide angle lens. I am toying with getting the wide angle converter..but I wonder whether the panoramic ability of the camera negates this (need) a little? I WILL be replacing the 18-55mm lens with the 16-50mm power zoom as this will turn the camera into the 'manageable' csc that it SHOULD BE! am happy to listen to any 'must have' additions from fellow users of the nex series.
    am safely presuming that a prime lens is a MUST and that this (a prime lens) will take me to another level.
    there are affordable 35/50mm movie/cine lenses available on ebay (£45). the pictures shown as examples look very good. anybody have any experience with these (michael lenses)?
    anyway .. glad to be aboard. will look to involve myself in the forum and glean (over time) all that I can from it/you all...

stefan22 (steve)

• Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome stefan. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your camera needs (and desires). Now, post some images!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome from a fellow F3 owner.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Hi Stefan,

Not sure what the squiggly signs in your post mean, but $ for $ it is the be$t ;) Just kidding...

Welcome !

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Tried to fix your image posting, broken link.

6. duh!

duh! TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Hello there, I just gotten mine (F3) not too long ago fyi... and yeah! It's a great camera. Mine came with the 1650 lens and honestly, I thought it was okay until I slapped on the rokkor x mc 1.4 50mm lens... and woooaaahh... and so... I had a week long vacation in Dubai doing all sort of stuff and realized that I didn't quite gel very well with the adapted manual lens. .. I think I will do well shooting things that don't move ... so, most of the time, I chickened out and used the 1650 instead. ... and be happy with the snappy AF running after the kids....

If you have not gotten the 1650, I suggest don't... or try it out to see if you like the quality. ..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using TalkEmount mobile app

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey duh! (great screen name BTW), welcome to the forum. Despite the impression you might get from reading many of the posts here, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the Sony AF lenses. While many here enjoy using MF glass from a bygone era, some of us still do use the AF lenses when they fiit the situation. ;)

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I use a combination.

MF when I want more control, AF when I am in a group situation.

9. duh!

duh! TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    I guess my problem is that most of the situation calls for AF and wide angle... so... I guess I probably will sell off the 50mm Rokkor X MC I have.... sigh:cool::(

Sent from my GT-N7105 using TalkEmount mobile app

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What ever makes you happy.

There are plenty of legacy lenses that are wide.

11. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm new here also and looking forward to following your posts. I'm finding the F3 to be a capable, fun little camera with quirks.