So Sick of this Smoke

Discussion in 'Nature' started by WoodWorks, Sep 3, 2017.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Because of the forest fires all around us, we've been in unhealthy or hazardous air quality conditions for going on a month now, with no letup in sight. It'll probably be October, when we usually start getting rain again, before it will let up. Here are a couple of comparison shots, taken today and in early September of last year.

Smoke1.

Smoke2.

We're surrounded by fire, so no matter which way the winds blow, we get smoked. I tell you, I'm ready to move to Beijing for a little relief.

• Sad Sad x 6
    • Wow Wow x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow! That's crazy. Be safe David

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    God Bless!

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yuck

5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Yikes!

We are getting haze from fires in Montana. I cannot see clouds some days except what is overhead, but at least I can still see the hazy horizon. Which is annoying for landscapes, but nothing compared to your situation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's horrible :(
    Stay safe David

7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I feel for you David. Looks like you've got a nice little valley for an inversion layer to settle down into.
    When the air finally does clear, don't forget to change the cabin filters in your cars. I was amazed at how dirty mine were back a few years ago when we had fires leaving soot/ashes on our cars. After it cleared up I couldn't understand why my commuter car smelled like a smoker was riding with me all the time. It was more noticeable since I was working most days in a 100k clean room breathing really really really clean air.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I took the Contax 100-300mm out this morning. Didn't even need a solar filter to detect sun spots with the naked eye.

36189582724_e15430c48c_b.
    Sun Spots.jpg by David Wood, on Flickr

It was probably a bad idea to head out into what the Oregon DEQ considers "Very Unhealthy" conditions. But my dogs don't understand these things, and insist on their morning walk.

Thanks for all the kind wishes. But other than the damage the smoke is doing to our lungs, we're in no immediate danger here. The nearest fire is about 20 miles away.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Wow Wow x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Stay safe!

10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Just read a story about how the kids that started the fire at the Gorge were caught. I feel for their parents as it only reflects how badly they raised their children.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I read that story too. Their lives, and that part of the Columbia Gorge, are ruined. But as I said to my wife, I too did some really stupid stuff at their age that could have ended catastrophically. I was just lucky.

Here's what Oregon looked like from space yesterday. I live down in the southwest corner.

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-09-05%2Bat%2B3.01.54%2BPM.

• Wow Wow x 2
  12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hopefully, a HUGE fine and charges for liability will be issued upon the parents and kids (if they are of legal age).

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I can remember back in the early '60's when the Bel Air fire hit LA.
    We could stand out on our front sidewalk and look up the street and see the flames on top of the ridge. Not a nice feeling.
    They should be tried as adults if not legal age. They can drive a car to get where they were going, they can plan in advance to video the event, so in my mind it's pure unadulterated premeditated arson. I hope they all have to work the rest of their lives making restitution to any and all effected by this.
    Just think how many people will never get to see the Gorge as it was. This area will take a lifetime to recover from this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1