1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So many more buttons...(and other A7rII notes)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by MAubrey, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Figuring out how I'm going to be setting up my A7rII is going to be a challenge, there are so many more options.

Anyway...some other thoughts:

• Love the larger grip
    • Not sure about the new dials
    • Manual focusing is much harder with 42MP
      • Shoot RAW & set sharpening and contrast both to +3 helps a lot, but the original 24MP sensor is still a lot easier to focus.
    • Despite that, it looks like my favorite legacy lenses are holding up well (with preliminary shots of nothing important)
      • 85L looks awesome.
      • Olympus 50mm f/2 Macro looks awesome
      • Contax G 45mm looks awesome
      • Voigtlander 12mm, not only does not have color cast any more, but vignetting is also significantly better, I think--need to do a side-by-side.
      • Haven't looked at the CV35mm f/1.2 and only looked at the Nikon 200mm f/2 for IBIS.
    • Btw, IBIS is great. I can now shoot the 200mm f/2 at 1/50th (maybe 1/25?).
    I don't know when I'll be able to go shooting. Lot's of deadlines for work right now and that's keeping me away from photography.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. MAubrey

Oh: and PDAF doesn't work with the Techart AF adapter. No improvement on focusing speed there. That was a disappointment.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MAubrey

Manual focusing follow up: after a walk this evening with the 85L, I think MF will be just fine. I'm realizing it is less about being harder and more that the EVF has a different look for what is or isn't sharp. At this resolution contrast for peaking in magnified mode doesn't show up as clearly wide open than it does on a 24MP sensor. But it's really just a manner of relearning. With the 85L this evening, I had a 95% hit rate for focusing. So not hard: just different. And the difference had me second guessing myself when I didn't need to be.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    So much relief to read this. The wildly different reports on the EVF had me worried but what you're saying makes sense to me and explains why some people have negative first reaction.

Also, what version of the TechArt adapter so you have? Version 3 is supposedly firmware upgradeable and I'm hoping they fix the issues. I tried an earlier version and didn't like it enough. I'd be curious to see how the G45 looks—do you also have the G90?

Ultimately I still should rent one before I buy (since I didn't have the funds to preorder like the cool kids :) but your findings help bring a little coherence to the vast range of opinions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MAubrey

For what it's worth, at this point I would say that I prefer the old EVF experience for manual focusing, but I'm holding off judgment for at least a couple weeks. It's possible that I'll get used to the new and like it just as much or more. My MF consistency may still be the same, but the decrease in confidence continues to affect my nerves. :crying:

I'm trying to figure whether it's a result of the extra magnification or the extra sensor resolution.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. MAubrey

One more follow up note on manual focusing and the quality of EVF, A7 vs. A7rII:

With my original A7, manual focusing was super easy with the first level of magnification. I found that the second level of magnification generally was pretty useless with its degraded quality.

With the A7rII, the first level of magnification does not look as good as that of the A7, but the non-focus peaking shimmer of what is in focus is much clearer than it was before. That means that even though it doesn't look as good, I'm finding focusing works just fine. Moreover, when you move to the second level of magnification, I have found that all the quality issues disappear entirely. The second level of magnification on the A7rII looks as good as, if not better than, the first level of magnification does on the original A7.

All that to say: I'm quite pleased with the A7rII's EVF.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I read that they released the Techart firmware update, not perfect, but faster and silent PDAF with Contax g lenses. The internet link does not work. Apple or Android apps might work.

8. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    do we have athread for this lens?
    im considering it

9. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    do you have more info?

11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. MAubrey

My new firmware is installing now via the Android app! I'm really pleased to discover the Android app--the USB bluetooth key that shipped with the adapter never worked, so I've never been able to update the firmware until now.

quarter-way there...
    half-way there...

13. MAubrey

...and done (well, about 20 minute ago).

PDAF works well and is a huge improvement. Still, AF continues to be a little goofy (and also lens recognition on mounting or turning on the camera), but definitely more useable than before. I'm definitely pleased. It's hugely faster and hunting just got a lot more rare!