So I shot a wedding... (A7ii + 24-70mm GM)

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Yohan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    We may get asked to shoot a wedding at some point in our lives. When my friends asked if I could, I responded the same way I did the first two times I was asked: Hire a professional and don't regret it. My friends insisted they like my photos and they want a friend to do it. But I know there's some financial constraints as well. They both finished grad school recently.

I agreed to do it.

Long story short, I shot the wedding with my own A7II body and rented the 24-70 GM (D750 + 85mm f1.4G being the other rentals). Here are some thoughts on the wedding, photos from the A7ii + 24-70 GM combo.

Lighting indoors was challenging. During prep, it was quite harsh. Lighting in the ceremony was quite flat. And low light at the reception. As the first time shooter and shooting alone, there are a lot of things I know how to do but didn't think to do on the fly. DSC00462. DSC00473. DSC00483. DSC00494. DSC00496.

The GM lens focuses well. Seemed to be more confident about focusing than my FE35 f2.8. A7RII probably wouldn't have many issues. When I was indoors, I ended up reaching for the D750 more. AF was just that much better.

DSC00559. DSC00565. DSC00573. DSC00595-Edit. DSC00601. DSC00604. DSC00636. DSC00654. DSC00693. DSC00728. DSC00731.
    24-70mm GM is a big lens compared to the size of the body. Built well and seemed to have good image quality its useful zoom range. I'm not a pixel peeper. And there are many things I could have done differently throughout the day. As a hobbyist/occasional shooter, I never learned the skills to direct my subjects. I could have directed the party shots more. The best man always stood forward from the rest and I didn't notice that until I was reviewing my images.

When I finished editing, I was somewhat indifferent about the quality of work as a whole. But the couple was happy with them. It was definitely a learning experience. Back to shooting film now!

This last photo is with the D750.
    DSC_3303-Edit.

• Like Like x 7
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think the images are well done, in the fact that there is a mood that is consistent in the shots for their wedding. The Love is... wall shots are priceless. Very memorable.
    And the group shot has a background you won't easily forget!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nice work! Love the two shots of the happy couple in front of the "Love" wall.

Yes, the Nikon D750 is a beast in low light, especially paired with an f/1.4 lens. The A7ii's sensor is still basically the same sensor in the original A99 and is well behind the D750 as far as higher ISO capabilities. Often you can salvage some high ISO shots that get funky with color by making them Black & White.

Did you find the IBIS in the A7ii useful?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    The group photo (#13?) is really nice :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Thanks Chris. I had to fight every urge to turn some of the photos B&W. IBIS is definitely helpful while shooting in Aperture priority. I shot in M with a higher shutter speed because auto ISO does not let me select minimum shutter speed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    People don't realize the stress involved in shooting a big event like this.

I hope they are happy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I bet they're very happy they didn't listen to your suggestion to go with a pro. :D

But you'd have to threaten me with bodily harm before I'd agree to shoot a wedding. :shakehead:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Some nice shots here and the important thing is that the couple was happy with the results :)
    :2thumbs:

I really want to try the GM 24-70 for a wedding but unfortunately we don't have a camera gear rental shop here and of course I can't afford to buy one :(
    I've been eyeing the 24-70 f4 but I'm scared that the f4 will be limiting. Hopefully Sigma will announce an affordable e-mount 24-70 2.8 soon

I second shoot weddings (done a few by now) with my A7, 55 1.8 and 70-200 f4 and the combo performs ok. Low light the A7 is a little slow to acquire focus and high iso is not that good. You definitely need a flash for weddings though.
    I've also been thinking of "upgrading" to an A7II but I'm not sure if it will be better (af, low light) than the original A7. Patiently waiting to see what the A7-III will offer

The feeling when you see the couple choosing some of your photos for their album is priceless though ;)

9. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Also, that wedding photography is a set of professional skills. One does not simply shoot a wedding because he/she owns a camera.. I felt at ease because it was they who insisted. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I had the A7 and now the A7ii. There's an improvement but not a major one, imo. A7ii couldn't reliably acquire focus at the reception, especially when they dimmed the lights even further for the first dance. I'd have to learn how to use a flash.

You know what's interesting? When people choose photos that I didn't like very much as their favourites. Different strokes, truly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Thanks, Will. I really wish I centered the group to the background.

I'm going to visit Arizona in March. Just for a week so GC/flagstaff/page area. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    14 and 15 stand out for me, together with the male group shots. I'm going to my husband's cousin's daughter's (!) wedding in June and wondering what to take. I will NOT be the pro, they hired someone thankfully but I want to use it to get some pictures that will be different to the pro ones ..... My thinking is, GM85 1.4, FE55 and the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II for the low light indoor shots. I want to take the Leica M240 and a 50 because I think the shots from that will be totally different and probably badly focussed ;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Hmm, you might get some hits with the M240 and zone focusing? I really wanted to take my M4-P but I already had my hands full.

14. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    zone focus always seems to rely on there being good light..... this is an English Summer don't forget :flypig:!

• Funny Funny x 2