1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So, I finally buy a Sigma 60/2.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WT21, Apr 1, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    So, I finally buy a Sigma 60/2.8 used from FM on Monday and they announce the FE 50/1.8 on Tuesday. I forgot I had purchased the Sigma until I got home today, and there it was.

Now what do I do, lol.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    IMO the 60mm Sigma would be an easy lens to resell - at least on ebay uk you don't see them very often (used). Perhaps not only because its a great lens for its money but also because it so reasonably priced that many would probably opt to buy new. That doesnt mean that it would be difficult to sell but expect to lose some money...

I would say congrats on the purchase but it seems like you'd be selling it :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    If you didn't buy the SEL 50 1.8 why would you want the FE 50 1.8?

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I say go ahead and buy the new 50 f/1.8 and test them against each other. Then if you decide, sell the Sigma 60mm, if your budget is tight.
    The cost of these two are quite relatively low. I was in your shoes with the APS-C 50 f/1.8, but picked up the Sigma 60 anyway. Glad I have both.
    Their characteristics are different. And you're actually looking at 75mm vs. 90mm FOV.
    This is the mistake of rationalizing that having a focal length covered by another lens (or a lens close enough in focal length) is an identical substitution for another lens. This is quite the opposite. It's more about compromises and how close the final results are to your desired composition style. Don't just go by the numbers. I say, let your eyes decide.

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Will,

On the A6000, why buy the FE 50mm 1.8 vs. the SEL 50mm 1.8? For an extra $50 you get OSS and a smaller lens.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    For the a6000, there is no reason to get the FE over the SEL, as you stated, I prefer to have OSS.
    I assume WT21 may want to use the FE on a full-frame Sony one day. Which is the only reason that would make me consider it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I shot the 60 this morning, and it's a VERY sharp lens. Excellent for 90mm landscape work.

Based on the early shots of the 50/1.8, this looks like a much nicer portrait lens, with central sharpness, and some more blur to the edges. I'm assuming it might focus faster.

I do use an a7. Sold my body, but plan to rent for an upcoming event. I might get the FE501.8 anyway, and test them next to each other.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    A nice thing about the newer DN version of Sigma's 60mm sharpness covers almost the entire frame right out of the gate @ f2.8
    Though, it's hard to ignore Sony's 50mm @ f1.8 capability, OSS and Eye-AF feature.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016