So I bumped into a guy shooting with the Zeiss 24 and the 5R...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by LowriderS10, May 6, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I was out shooting and I heard the familiar click-click-click of the NEX series beside me...the guy was a foreigner (I live in South Korea), so I went up and started talking to him, hoping to get some opinions on what he thought of the body, lens, etc...turned out he had the Zeiss 24mm...he showed me (just on the screen of his camera) some details (zoomed all the way in) and I have to say...I was impressed. The thing was ridiculously sharp and had excellent contrast.

I asked him to do some same-settings shooting with me (I had my 5D Mark II and 16-35L II), and, as expected, the 5D2 was well ahead of the NEX when it came to high ISO detail, noise and contrast...but I gotta give it to the little guy...at ISO 100, I'd go as far as to say they were indistinguishable. (This really wasn't anything scientific, we were just comparing what was on the back screens)...either way...I was very impressed with both the NEX and the Zeiss glass...

2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Yeah, the 5R's (and most NEX models) strengths are in its dynamic range and color rather than low light.

3. Mark K

Mark K New to TalkEmount

May 4, 2013
    Personally I believe 35/1.8 serves you better. It is smaller and similarly sharp.
    If you shoot 16-35L II on Mark II with a cropped size image area (like one found in Sony A900/Nikon D800), the image quality is the same or even worse when you use 10-18 on Nex 5r...

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Zeiss is a great lens with much more pleasant colors and overall rendering than the 35mm, imho. But both are great lenses anyways.

5. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it...I think even the high ISO performance is worth giving up, considering the size/weight advantages of the NEX.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

To be honest, I'm not interested in either lens...I prefer my primes longer (on FF I'm shooting a 135mm and love it, the 50 OSS will be 75mm equivalent, which is the shortest I'm happy with...I'd love to get closer to 100, but no such thing in the Sony world)...I was just making a random observation of how impressed I was by that combo haha :)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Did you invite him to the forum?

7. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Not yet...but I have his email address, I"ll pass the link along to him :D

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Great idea. Maybe you guys could even post some of your photos here for comparison? That would be a great thread.

9. Mark K

Mark K New to TalkEmount

May 4, 2013
    The DxO measures lens quality in conjunction with a specific camera. So a 35/1.8 L on a 5R shows better quality of a 35/1.4L on 7D. Here you go
    DxOMark - Compare lenses