1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

So glad I found this place!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by lowincash, Dec 21, 2011.

1. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Hi new here =]

Very glad I found this place. I've placed my order for a NEX-7 a couple of weeks back and now patiently (actually impatiently) waiting for the camera to arrive. Can't wait to get it and start shooting again! Sucks to be camera-less right now, have to resort to phone cam for now haha

Photography is just a hobby for me and I've went through numerous point and shoot cameras over the years then finally got my first dslr a few years back. It was great and loved the performance and image quality but then found myself leaving the camera at home more and more because I didn't want to lug around a big camera =/ I then discovered micro 4/3rd cameras and used those for a while but just wasn't happy with the image quality and performance. Went back to a dslr and then again find myself not using it again due to the size and weight lol So once again I went back to micro 4/3rd camera but just wasn't feeling it =/ Finally saw the NEX series and the 7 seems to fit my needs very well.

Many P&S cameras --> Nikon D40 --> Canon XS --> Canon 50D --> Panasonic GF1 --> Nikon D7000 --> Panasonic G3 --> Olympus E-P3 --> Now the NEX-7 :)

Anyways happy holidays and looking forward to participating more in this forum! :cool:

2. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Welcome. Looking at your camera path I understand your user name :)

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome!

Like you I have just gotten back to photography after a long break.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi there and welcome to our group! I think there are a lot of folks getting excited about photography with NEX cameras, but I haven't quite figured out how to get out the word. Glad you found us!

5. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Thanks for the warm welcome =]

When I first started looking at smaller camera options I think it was only the nex3 that was out and I didn't look much into it since it was pretty new and very limited amount of lenses available. But now I noticed I never really use that many lenses anyways. I only need a nice fast prime and a decent zoom and I'm all set. That means the kit 18-55mm lens and the zeiss 24mm lens with the nex7 and I'm pretty good to go.

Man photography is an expensive hobby =/

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    It is!! ;) but it has gotten a bit cheaper now I reckon, when I used to shoot in film not only do I have to buy the gear (often GAS related) but I still had to buy the film and get it developed, to save money I developed it myself (I turned my room into a darkroom...not advisable, specially if youre bringing a date home, anyways..) making mistakes in shooting in the past can be really costly. But if your ideal kit is the 18-55 kit and the 24mm zeiss you should be alright :)

My main issue is GAS, hmm...the new year is coming, maybe it's time for a new year's resolution........;)

7. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Speaking of film, I am thinking of getting an old canon ep-1 or a pentax k1000 to play with while I wait for the nex7 to come lol But think I should save my money as much as I can for now =/ I love film, always excited to see how the pics will come out once it's developed haha

8. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I reckon just save your cash mate (imho of course), film will always be fun to play with and will always have a unique look compared to digital (not to mention will always have a special place in my heart) but if your investing on the NEX-7 and 1 or 2 lenses, you will never know what's lurking around the corner when GAS takes hold of you, be it a camera bag, accessories, a new Emount lens, monopod/tripod, etc... I reckon it's more prudent to save your dough and invest it on the system you will be mainly using (bloody hell I sound like my old man).

9. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Yeah thanks I'll just save my money for now and use my phone's camera in the meantime. When you speak of GAS, you're not referring to the ones we put in our cars right? lol

10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Lol, just short for Gear Aquisition Syndrome (GAS). I dont think it will be too long now though, my local dealer advises that the camera will be available Jan 2012 and it's almost the end of December. According to Sonyalpharumours some parts of Europe already has taken deliveries with some customers being offered the camera even though they did not pre-order it. Maybe this will be a good time to invest on some of the accessories you will use when you finally get your camera like a camera bag, you can do some research on it. Filters (if you use them), specially an ND filter if your planning to shoot the 1.8 prime, and a cpl if your shooting in colour. An LCD protector, as I heard that the NEX-7's LCD is prone to scratching because of the way the camera sits when hung from your neck when you use a neck strap, etc........(what I just waffled on and on about is a good example of GAS ;))

11. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Thanks, yeah I'm just going to save my money, need every bit of it for the zeiss lens lol I'm sure GAS will hit me again later haha