So damn Lost with the Lenses Storyline

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 16, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all, I am lost and a bit of desperate.
    I am trying to find me this period two lenses a very wide one and a street zoom that is not very heavy. I guess you know that already from my previous posts.

I am making this post as I feel quite desperate on finding lenses. I am not asking for suggesting me specific lenses, there are previous posts for that.

I would like to to have a glimpse on how you approach the issue when you find your self looking for a specific type of lens (for example a light street zoom ).

What I tried is:
    1. Check the sony lenses from the sony's website (there are cheaper resellers but I wanted to see the list of e-mounts)
    2. Then as I saw that the auto focus lenses are out of my reach is time to dwell on the adapted lenses market.
    3. Then I tried to get some suggestions from the forum, that I got. But.. sometimes is hard to find the lenses listed on the ebay. The other day I was reading, for example, this article I found some suggestion there. I could not find the entry in ebay at all. Sometimes can it be also that people try to insert the lenses with slight different name of what I was suggested. I guess this comes from the fact that resellers do not care about making precise titles. Of course this is very confusing for me. Example as the other day I was trying to pinpoint a lens on ebay of what I have been suggested.
    4. Is very hard for me to find reviews for a lens and more hard to compare between different suggestions I get.
    5. Then I did a generic search on ebay for telezooms where I also found a lot of affordable telezoom lense. Surpisingly there are many lenses around 30-40 euros at good condition like : a or b or c and perhaps the d.
    The hard stuff for me is to compare image qualities, over sharpness, over weight of the lens and then make a choice. In my computer world there are reviews for all the single components (cpus, ram. .. e.t.c). Of course one can start buying stuff here and there but I do not really want to start filling up with glass that it will die on drawers.
    6. Even worse I do not understand the terminology on ebay.Few examples
    FD,MD,PK, "FOR NIKON AI-S", " for BAYONET SLRs BX20 BC1","WITH MACRO" .
    What is all the stuff and how probable is that I can buy something that I can not fit (with the appropriate adapter of course in my nex body?)

7. Then there are also more questions bugging me. If I am willing spending 200 euros for an adapted lens why not invest a bit more and get the EA1 cheap A-mount adapter and give me access to the cheaper line the A-Mount lenses offer? That might be an expensive short investment but it might pay off in the future instead of buying more and more adapted lenses.

I think you can now understand why I feel so much frustrated. I am not sure how to search for that and asking on forums sometimes does not help too much either. Different proposals of different needs (of course people would like to help). How do you approach the issue also when you think you should try a different lens?
    Regards
    Alex

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    When looking on eBay I always search by the mount, say MD lens... Or the mount and focal length, MD 135mm. That seems to work the best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think #6 is the source of most of your confusion, Alex. You need to learn what "FD,MD,PK, "FOR NIKON AI-S", " for BAYONET SLRs BX20 BC1","WITH MACRO" mean before you can start making informed decisions about which lenses will do what you want. Well, maybe not all of that stuff. I have no clue what "BAYONET SLRs BX20 BC1" means, for instance. But I do know that FD lenses were used on older Canons, and MD on Minoltas, and that there are NEX adapters for those kinds of lenses. And I learned that by reading on various forums, Wikipedia, and Googling specific questions I came up with. So before you allow yourself to get "desperate," as you said, perhaps you should slow down, take your time, and read about lenses and mounts, about what's available, what's affordable, whether they can be adapted for your NEX, and only then start thinking about making a purchase.

In the mean time, just enjoy the lenses you already have. They may not be suitable for every occasion, but then, no lens is.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yes, it's a problem when you delve into any subject. You have to learn the language before you can understand enough to make informed decisions. Much like buying a computer if you know nothing about computers.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    You need to better define your needs. This is 50% of solution.

- what's a very wide lens ? Is it 10mm, 16mm, 19mm ?

- what's a street zoom ? what focal range are you looking for ?

- what are you willing to spend, total ?

- what are you looking for in each lens, above all other features ? (e.g. corner sharpness, bokeh, color, etc.)

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    well, first of all you have to be clear what your main objectives, ie, personally i dont use the wide angle regularly, I mean the Sony 16mm f2.8 or Sigma 19mm f2.8 , for that reason sold the Sigma 19mm, because as you mentioned i dont want to start filling up with lenses that will die on drawers, so decided to just keep Sel16mm f2.8 in case for make some lanscape.

I often use the 18-55mm kit, as the only support for as AF, as it meets my needs on the street, (street shooter) then use the 28mm more often (Vivitar 28mm f2.8, Zuiko 28mm f3.5, Industar 50 28mm f2.8) and my favoritealso is the 50mm , the best for me is the Rokkor f/1.4, but also I have the f1.7, Yashinon 50mm f1.7 and a couple of days ago I sold the Industar-50 and now I'm in search of the Industar 61 LD 50mm f2.8.

what I mean is that I already get used my mind to work a certain focal length so when see some scenes on the streets i know what frame is going to be on mi nex already. 28mm and 50mm is for me, then i decided to purchase the sel35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 with AF, I made the right desicion? of course.

before taking any decision research first and ask yourself what are your needs.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thans a lot for the nice answers I keep getting :) .
    I try to reply to you one by one

Deadbear77: I do not know yet what mounts are to start searching like that. Also I am flexible with the focal length. For example I am looking for a prime lens between 85 to 100 mm.

WoodWorks: Thanks I will try to see what I can learn.

Amamba:
    -super wide is: below 16mm, with preferable between 8 and 10mm

- what's a street zoom ? I have a prime at 135mm and I have some times hard time hand helding it. Around 70-150 should be more than enough for my crop factor. I am a bit flexible on the lower and upper limits, example: 55-170mm

- what are you willing to spend, total ? 250 euros for both lenses the super wide and the street zoom

-what are you looking for in each lens: As I am a new one here I guess an a balanced one or a fair overall quality for the price I give would be the right choise for me.

freddytto: I am spending evening shooting a kid stroller and I want to be able to stay very close to it and include also background buildings. I mean main historical buildings that typical are quite tall. To an extreme I guess this one : Cologne Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello Alex

Feeling frustrated is half the work when being a photographer. Still there are many good sources out there on the internet so my best advice is to read, read and read. Eventually things will become clearer.

When it comes to you lens question, I have two pieces of advice:

(1) Don't get a legacy wide lens. They are expensive and often inferior to modern wide lenses. The really wide lenses first became available in the 1960's and after that it took some time to perfect the technology.

Solution: get the Sigma 19mm f2.8 it is affordable and it is also surprisingly good. If you check my flicker, most of the last 30 photos were taken with the Sig19.

(2) Don't get a zoom for street photography. What you need on the street is speed, both of lens and of shooting. Operating the zoom and the smaller apertures that come with it, will certainly loose you a lot of shots. Instead, get a reasonably wide and fast prime, say 24-30mm and around f/1.8.

Solution: use the Sig30 you already have.

The rest is all about learning to use the equipment you have to get the photos you want. This is the most important part of photography. No equipment can ever substitute for practice.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks a lot for the great answers I keep getting :)

How better is the sony 16 with the fish eye converter for my wide purposes compared to the sigma 19mm?. I am using the sigma 30mm but sometimes thinks are very very narrow. The 18mm I got from the kit lens did not help eather this is the reasons I have decided to go even wider. The sony 16 with the two converters "unlocks" a bit what I would like to achieve.
    The reason I look for zoom lens is that sometimes I want to be at a distance. I get this when I am using my 135mm outside which gives me the feeling shooting others from distance. I also adore how nice it isolates my main subject throwing the other stuff defocused (aperture at 2.8).
    There are times though that this 135 is very limited as I have to move 15+ meters away to get the stroller or any other subject in the frame. So I thought that being able to alter a bit the focal length and go lower would give me the flexibility to find the distance I want to have when shooting.

Today I will go out again shooting with my 50mm lens the stuff I have been shooting with the 135 mm.

10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I doubt you'd find a 10 mm wide lens, or similar, anywhere near your price range. 16mm with wide adapter may work for you, not sure.

Sigma 19/2.8 is inexpensive and good, if this works for you.

As to the zoom, looks to me that Sony 55-210 may be the best match, although again it's more expensive.

11. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Also, just going wider isn't going to help if the other aspects of your photography isn't working to your satisfaction.

Start treating the borders of your frame as your friends, an compose the shot with what you've got. You'd be surprised to find that there are multiple framings and multiple photos in each scene.

I think in your case the solution is not buying more gear but to keep practicing to become more proficient with the basics of photography. You could do that with the kit lens.

Sorry, to be so boring but it's a road we must all travel. When I picked up photography after a long hiatus, it took me a full year of continous shooting before I could roughly take the photos I wanted.

And I'm still learning and practicing.

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    You are indeed right. I think this is the right time to explain few more things.
    Every evening I take my new born daughter :) for a walk with the stroller. After we spend some time playing the young lady wants to take a sleep of one hour. Then I turn to "me-time" and I try to do things for me. From Learning German, working if possible, walking and improving me in photography.
    For the last part I have thought that I can try the following:

1. Use the stroller to help me learn my gear. Some of the days I am shooting over the same scenes but with different focal length lenses.
    2. The stroller can also help me understand the depth of the scene that is in focus, so I keep shooting the stroller with different apertures
    3. I use the stroller and try to make nice compositions. I found that quite challenging being able to think what I can do with a stroller in town and try to make shoots with a bit of storyline
    4. I found very very funny and enjoyable what I do.

From 1-4 I have thought that I should be able to wide my scene and include large buildings and spacey areas to make my stories easier to be described. I have few more compositions in mind but I need a very wide lens to try those. Also I find that a bit of zoom would give me the flexibility some times I luck (i.e my 135mm prime lens can very good isolate the main subject but sometimes I do not want to walk 15meters away from the stroller for the shot)

You can of course browse some of those pictures here: AlexPal's Photos (unfortunately the text is not in English) Please remember that I am only using my camera one month full time, trying to learn something new. (All these are the jpegs coming from the camera's engine. I am sometimes cropping those and altering a bit brightness and contrast)

13. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    You know combines business with pleasure. On the one hand, it walking with your daughter and also getting to know the camera. Good exercises to get to know your camera. Also working with your Aperture to see what effect that has on your image with the depth of field. for example, the image with the stroller and the ducks, and the Roses on stem. Do it yourself and remember what you're doing is the only way to get to know your camera well.

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Alex, I think your "project" is very very interesting and (as a newb myself :D ) I do find some very nice photos in the set you posted :thumbup:
    If the first ones are your latest and the last ones your earlier, I think you're on the right track ;)

15. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It's a good idea Alex.

Learning about Aperture and DOF I think it helps to limit yourself to one focal length at a time though. At least it did/does for me.

16. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Good to hear, Alex. This is the most important part. If you enjoy it, you will keep doing it. And if you keep doing it, you will get better.

Two more tips:

1) Shoot RAW and process the photos afterwards. That way you will really get into the variables of exposure, contrast, colour. What you learn here will go straight into shooting better photos. Processing is also an essential skill of digital photography. You can't learn it soon enough.

2) Shoot various themes, including moving subjects such as people, birds, animals, cars, boats etc. This will improve your speed with the controls and also framing and timing. This will improve your photography whatever you are shooting. Then you can make split-second decisions about settings and composition. The stroller is fine, but also a bit limiting.

Keep at it!

17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    1) Any book to get me started with raw processing in photoshop cs 6? I know the basic stuff in photoshop, so I want something that delves directly to the important stuff? Even better if it is not of large size

2) I would not call a stroller limiting .. I would call it more challenging :)

Alex

18. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I like watching Serge Remelli's YouTube videos on Lightroom editing. I've learned a few things, and he's fairly entertaining at the same time. Beats a book, IMO.

I spelled his name wrong! It's Ramelli. Doh! :eek:

19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Along the same line of thought: Adobe has posted a whole slew of training videos on their Adobe TV site. I've picked up many tips and shortcuts by watching them. And most of them are ~4 mins. in length, so it's not a major time commitment. You can watch a few, or one, or be entertained and/or bored for hours. :p

20. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Try Scott Kelby's book. It has a lot of useful information. His prose is objectionable, though, but that is another matter ;)

Or boring? You will have hundreds of photos of the same stroller. You could easily render people unconscious with these photos ;)