• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

So all of a sudden my card reader is slow...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I put the SD card in and it says it's downloading at 2-3mb/s when it used to go 25-30mb/s.
I put the same card in my wife's old identical computer and it goes 25-30mb/s in that one.
What'd I do other than tell it not to sign into that infernal iCloud every time I put a card in the slot.
Any help here?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Some ideas...
If that is truly the only thing that changed, and you change that back, do you achieve the old transfer speed?
If the card reader is attached with a USB cable, try another cable.
If the destination is on the internet (e.g. cloud) check your network speed, otherwise try running Resource Monitor or Task Manager to see if you can find something standing out.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
That was going to be my next move, reinstate the iCloud log in.
This is an internal card reader, built into the computer.
I've run RM while doing a download and nothing is running that shouldn't be.
I have a feeling MS Win 10 is up to no good on this one, but will find out later this morning when I reinstate the iCloud. Actually just looked at the icon and it is the One Drive cloud, not iCloud.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
OK, back in business.
Just to update this thread here's what I did. I went to the ACER computer site and found the driver (REALTEC) for the card reader and downloaded it to the computer. Went into that file and found the setup file and clicked on it. It started up an installer and successfully installed a new driver for the card reader. [Wonders never cease]
It appears to now be working full speed again. I would note that I never really found anything in Device Manager that said it was a card reader. I don't really know where the new driver ended up being installed. [Ignorance is bliss sometimes I guess]

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Glad you are back to normal. I know there were issues recently with some drivers included in the usual monthly patches. I did not experience any problems, but perhaps you were an unwitting victim.

A card reader may show as a storage device or disk drive, but I don't have one and so cannot really say for sure.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I seem to remember it going slow after one of those updates. Too bad they didn't publicize that there were problems but I guess that's them saving face.
This slow down almost killed my desire for an A1 as it would have made downloading files an all day affair.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
"... almost killed..." :D

Personally I just plug my A7Riii into a USB port and download them that way. I am a low volume shooter so the speed has never bothered me. Perhaps I will test it out one of these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom