• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Snowy trip - first real shootout with 24mm CZ

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Today the weather was good for the first time for weeks now, so I instantly decided to go out and give my 24mm a long shootout. For comparison and 'cos the weather was pretty bad the last time I chose the same route as on December 25th with the 16mm Pancake.

Here's the first shot. It was pretty hard to get - I had to went about 150 meter through deep, soft snow where I sinked in up to my knees. In the end I stand about 50 minutes at the same place, hip deep snow around me, waiting for the perfect moment. Finally the moment came with two birds crossing in the perfect light. Afterwards, my jeans were frozen up to my knees which didn't make it any easer going back through the snow ... But yeah, that's a hobby photographers life. ;)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6775145332/" title="Birdy HDR by Poki5, on Flickr">
6775145332_5272fa57c3_b.jpg
   ---            
"1024" height="683" alt="Birdy HDR"></a>

The second one I shot later on from a hidden place I discovered today and processed from a single raw. It turned out pretty well, if you like this type of photographs.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6921257577/" title="Skyline by Poki5, on Flickr">
6921257577_faed307b17_b.jpg
   ---            
"1024" height="682" alt="Skyline"></a>

I'll post more tomorrow - have to take a warm shower now. ^^

Some words on the 24mm Zeiss: It's amazing how sharp corner-to-corner it is even wide open and it seems like it doesn't have any real weakness (if you don't count the easy to correct CAs). It's just about perfect. :)

Here's one for comparison I shot on december 25th at almost exactly the same place with the 16mm pancake, just to show one more side of this landscape.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6569370425/" title="Winter Landscape by Poki5, on Flickr"> View attachment 24757 "1024" height="682" alt="Winter Landscape"></a>

What do you think?

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
hey, this is indicative of the quality of the lens, heck, I love the sunset, the first pictures are beautiful

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
This is beautiful mountain country! Your first photo has a stunning impact on me... I cannot tell if it is because of the unusual shade of cadmium yellow which I only see in paintings and very seldom in photographs... or maybe it is the wide open snow-covered landscape.

I admire your perseverance, and it's nice to see that you have been rewarded. Thank you very much for sharing this experience with us.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Thanks for your feedback!

@freddytto: The color rendering and character of this lens are really nice. :)

@Dioptrick: The snow-covered landscapes are really nice here - at least to photograph. But sometimes you just wish it was summer when you live here. ;)
And yep - I'm pretty happy with the results today. Usually I just get one shot a day I'm happy with - this time I got at least three (have to raw-convert the rest) which feels pretty rewarding. :)

lapdog99

TalkEmount Veteran
The golden hour makes it worth the hike. Freehand or tripod? What settings? Any filter on the lens?

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
@lapdog99: This shot was freehand with ISO 200, f/8 and 1/200 shutter speed. This was the only shot I made with the Auto-HDR function of the NEX in Aperture priority mode. I think it would be possible to process about the same image from a raw file, but after some tries the HDR-function seemed pretty compelling and besides a little sharpness loose compared to the normal picture it turned out better than my raw files.

And I used no filter. I don't want to use a cheap filter on this lens, and I'm still thinking which filter to buy.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
And I used no filter. I don't want to use a cheap filter on this lens, and I'm still thinking which filter to buy.

Heliopan, same level as B+W, but these 49mm UV filters cost more than what I payed for my 55mm Takumar! :)

Hoya UV filters are high end Japanese and a little cheaper... the multi-coated are best, but also consider the "slim" types to avoid vignetting because your CZ is a wide angle.

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Heliopan, same level as B+W, but these 49mm UV filters cost more than what I payed for my 55mm Takumar! :)

Hoya UV filters are high end Japanese and a little cheaper... the multi-coated are best, but also consider the "slim" types to avoid vignetting because your CZ is a wide angle.

I might give these a go, as I'm using a vivitar variable ND filter and I'm getting vignetting on my lens.

jfazer

TalkEmount Regular
Great pics of landscapes!
I like especially the second one! Awesome silhouette!

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Thanks for the tips for the filter. I'll order a UV and a B1 Skylight filter today in combination with a Kinetronics Speckgrabber for sensor cleaning. Oh man, photography gets more expensive year over year ... ^^

Latest threads

Top Bottom