1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SmugMug has done it...No more Free Unlimited Flickr!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WNG, Nov 1, 2018.

1. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well, I just got my notice that Flickr will be doing away with their boasting offer of 1TB of free storage. All free accounts will be limited to 1000 images/videos.
    We free accounts will have the option to buy the Pro plan for $49 annually.
    Or have all excessive images deleted on Jan. 8, 2019. You will lose all images if you don't archive them off your free account.

I foresaw this coming after the acquisition by SmugMug. Thanks a lot SmugMug, for your bullshit claims of preserving flickr and its creative community spirit. :rolleyes: 

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, this sucks!! any alternatives?
    I got this from the Verge: "Free users with more than 1,000 photos or videos will have until January 8th, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download their surplus content. After January 8th, free users with over 1,000 pictures or videos won’t be able to upload any more. And on February 5th, 2019, free accounts that are still over the limit will have their content actively deleted until they’re back under 1,000 (starting with the oldest content first)."

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, it sucks. I guess I’m suddenly going to have to be much more selective about what I put up on Flickr.

Which isn’t really such a bad thing, now that I think about it. :rolleyes-20:

• Like Like x 1
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Despite claims to the contrary, I too thought it was just a matter of time. Flickr will survive, but become a fraction of what it is now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. sapoeijoek

sapoeijoek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    Edwin
    After pbase and photobucket which were popular that time became so unpopular, I used Flickr to share almost all my pictures since 08 For years as a paid user. But last year I switched to Instagram. Only use Flickr for linking pictures to some forums including here.
    One of the annoying things about Flickr is, when we like a photo, it’ll automatically added to our fave gallery too. It also got slower since they changed the ui.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  6. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It's simply a PITA for those who have created and built up a significant presence on there and have utilized flickr to keep all their pics on there for safe archiving and sharing with family and others. Their marketing claims of encouraging new users to utilize up to 1 TB of their free storage for such purposes, have proven to be a broken promise.
    I wasn't born yesterday, so I know offers by companies are as long-lived as marriage vows these days. It's sad and lame when you invite people to try and once dependent, you force them to pay or delete their valuable images and established connections and ties. This is a blatant hostage situation.

While all the time, they get to freely use your public images to generate revenue.

Been on there since 2007 with tens of thousands of images. Still not even close to 1TB. I doubt anyone is.
    Used to be a paying customer for years until the major changes introduced many bugs. They took away more access a year ago. And with no major fixes and improvements to the interface issues, they now pull this one on everyone. Limited uploads and sizes I can understand. But the move to deleting the established user base that the site flourished with and relied on....that will have a domino effect of breaking links to external and internal groups, galleries, favorites, albums, etc. Flickr is really the last of the online photography sites that was for photographers. Not a Facebook, Instagram or Model Mayhem/500px type site. With just the right amount of social media tools to make worthwhile connectivity. This move will likely generate them a lot of revenue initially, but it may chip away a cornerstone and allow the siite to crumble. There is always a new, hungrier, trendier site/portal around the corner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Instagram is not a high res, photo sharing site...in that you can't share a downloadable full size image. And you can't post to Instagram without a valid cellphone number and a smartphone. Meh.

Flickr's Fave process hasn't changed since conception. It's not about voting, it's about keeping an account of your favorite images found on flickr, and be able to return to view them in an album. The only sad issue with that is no effort has been focused on expanding the flexibility and options to the Favorites album. No separate sub albums, no private setting, no date/user/tag search. Technically, one can't gain easy access to your favorited images from many years ago. It will crash the interface trying to scroll back a decade.
    :-\

What you describe as liking should have been added years ago when they updated the UI. They could have added another database entry for a 'Heart' or "Thumbs Up". And Faves could be reserved for saving to a Favorites album.

8. sapoeijoek

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    Edwin
    Instagram isn’t Flickr replacement. It is just for ‘sharing’ pictures. No you can’t download high resolution pictures, it’s true but instagram isn’t and never meant for that. But YES, you can post to instagram without a valid phone number. All you need is a valid email address to register. You can use a phone number if you want, it’s up to the users.

9. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, you can open an account with an email address. But it eventually locks your account access for 'security' until you provide a valid number to text you the access code.

10. sapoeijoek

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    Edwin
    Really? Hmmmmm it never happened to me. I don’t even have my phone number registered.
    Do you have an Instagram account? :) 

11. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, and I was accessing it via PC until they recently locked access until I provide a phone #. I don't upload nor run their phone app. I think if you access them on a phone app, they already know you have a valid phone number. ;) 

12. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 11, 2014
    Crap. I have 3,954 images. Time for cleanup.
    Biggest problem would be hot link images to forums will be affected.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Even though I think their new pricing policy stinks, I'll be carrying on with my current Flickr Pro account.
    Afterall, it works out at less than £1 per week......

..... and they say Scotsmen are tight with their money :shakehead:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think all of us, if we’re being honest with ourselves, knew this day was coming. There is no free lunch. Whatever Flickr got out of its relationship with me, I got the better of the deal by far. Now they have finally admitted that to themselves and are cutting their losses.

Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Like I've said elsewhere here, I'm not much of a photographer, but I've always been a little envious of those who used flickr to link their photos on different sites. I guess I'll just continue on posting the way I have been doing it. Some of my photos actually do look pretty good at the higher res I can see on my computer. Lots can get lost in the translation.

16. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hey, I know of a few Chinese and Indians who can give a Scotsman a photo finish in that competition! :D 

But it's not so much about the cost as it's about the attitude and approach. 1000 images max is a joke these days. That's about 1-2GB of storage.
    To delete people's built up accounts and collections that has took effort and has taken root on the Interweb, with a deadline for paid service, instead of allowing existing accounts to remain and roll in an upload limit (weekly or monthly) and a reasonable cap for new free accounts, is just bad business sense.

And, I have no issue paying for a service-product if I felt they are providing a really good and satisfying experience. But they are not and haven't addressed the issues with the interface in years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    If you're in the US (or anywhere that has Amazon Prime services) and need photo cloud/storage services, I highly recommend using Amazon Photos if you currently have a Prime account. If you're a Prime member it's free (since you already pay for it) and they allow for unlimited photo uploads. I use it mainly to share high res images with clients and friends. Unfortunately it's not much use if your intended usage is to share images on photography forums which Flickr is much better suited for.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pellicle

pellicle TalkEmount Regular

Agreed about the PITA, but as to archiving for safety? I would never trust them (have never trusted them) to be a part of any reliable long term solution of archiving

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well, this sucks.... :( 

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Still 455 photos to go...bright side, it will force us to post only the best...

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.