1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Smudge on 5r sensor

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by puckpack, Apr 15, 2014.

1. puckpack

puckpack TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Hello,

I have a visible smudge on the sensor of my 5r. Have any of you had experience with this?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Dunno about "smudge," but I've had plenty of dust specks and other debris on my sensor(s). If they can't be blown off with a blower, then I go after them with a lens pen, the kind specifically made to clean sensors, not the kind for lenses.

And if that doesn't work, then a good scrubbing with steel wool usually does the trick. :p

KIDDING!!! I'M KIDDING!!!! :tsk:

• Like Like x 1
  3. puckpack

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Thanks for the tips.

There is what looks like a non uniformed line like smudge. Brushing it and a microfiber cloth do not affect it.

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Can you post an image, so that we can see it? Does it change (get sharper) at higher (~f/16-22) apertures?

5. puckpack

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    I can try to post pictures.

I wonder if I should ignore it? Nothing shows up on the actual photos...

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If nothing shows up when your lens is stopped down, then you can probably ignore it. Dust on the sensor sometimes doesn't become visible in images unless you do.

7. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i just went through something similar with the a7r, it was nerve racking!

do a test shot of the sky, to look for the smudge, somewhere around 28mm focal length, at the apertures woodward suggested.

dustaid platinum dslr sensor cleaner, lenspen sensorklear li with articulated tip, and carson sensormag led cleaning loupe, $90 for all at amazon

the loupe is barely adequate for mirrorless, spend more for a real loupe if you can afford it.

here is where i learned how to clean the sensor:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/04/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor

8. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Recently my friend was checking out my A7 and he took off the lens to look at the sensor comparing to his m43, he pointed out there was something wet on the sensor. I thought his spit got on it or something, so stupid me got a q-tip thinking I can just dab it and soak it up. Well it wasn't spit, it was some kind of gooey stuff and I just ended up smearing it around into a bigger mess lol I ended up spending $30 to have the sensor cleaned professionally. Till this day I still don't know what it was or how it got there =/

9. puckpack

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Thank you all for the suggestions.