Smooth portraits as nex-camera does

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by alaios, Apr 11, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    in my nex-camera when portrait mode is selected and portrait is correctly recognized , the faces appear slightly more nice (well not sure how to explain why they look better).

Would it be possible to have something similar like that effect in photoshop or in other image processing tool?

Regards
    A.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Probably yes. Anything camera does after exposure can be done in post processing. I use GIMP with wavelet decompose plugin to smooth skin for example.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Btw does gimp have some sort of capabilities like lightroom?

R
    Alex

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't know Lightroom but GIMP is a pixel oriented drawing program. It is not very good in some respects (it is only 3*8 bit, user interface is bad and some features are not so well implemented) but free. I use Raw Therapee (that is pretty good program) for exposure adjustment, white balance etc..

5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    There are several things that can affect the "look" of a portrait. For me, the easiest to implement in Lightroom - and one of the most effective - is to use negative clarity on the face with the adjustment brush. As I understand it, "clarity" is just a name for contrast in the mid-tone range. Using a negative value for clarity on the face of a portrait subject can smooth the skin and create a more flattering image. Other software may call "clarity" by another name, but I suspect that it is available in most post-processing software.

FWIW, use of a positive value for a clarity adjustment on the entire image can often provide more "snap" to the image, but care must be taken if people are in the image as the potential exists for that to roughen the appearance of their skin, which is often not flattering.

- Tom -

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Lightroom has a few other tools can will help with skin. The Luminance noise slider (used sparingly) can also keep skin smooth. And, by using automasking when doing your input sharpening, you can keep the sharpening off the skin.

For ruddy skin, a little negative "vibrance" also goes a long way.

And, it's also great that clarity, sharpness and noise (among many other elelments) can be applied using the brush tool -- if you need to get up close and personal.

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    yes you can in LR, can soften the skin and blur as much as you need it, as you do in CS6, using the brush tool,then select clarity for make the skin soft, then, so now if you select the brush and put in detail, then select the the minimun, so you will have to repeat the process until you get to like it, I saw that in Cs6 is faster but a bit tedious, so I prefer to use LR.