1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase SMC Pentax (M) 50mm F1.4 - (bad sample,dust,dirty,scratched )

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Dr.Strangelove, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Dr.Strangelove

Dr.Strangelove TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2013
    I was planning to prepare better pictures but it seems that here the rain will never stop.
    I got this lens from internet sale of course. Supposedly in good condition but it had it all: fungus,dirt,scratches..
    I removed the fungus but the lens remained quite dirty and and of course still scratched and damaged.
    It is not difficult to disassemble this lens, especially if you watch this wonderful video, but cleaning the glass that is still a mystery to me.
    ""https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlDO5Qj6cU""
    I wondered whether it was wise to post pictures from bad lens, but it could be interesting for some future discussion about how defects affect the image quality.
    Anyway here are a few pictures: red watch at 1.4, red watch at 2.8, yellow flower at noon on a sunny day at 1.4, unknown flower at 2.0 or 2.8 (not sure anymore) and bright side of the moon handheld 1/50s ISO 12800.
    The moon pic is bit ugly but few years ago it would be impossible to take it with "normal" cameras, the idea is to show how much light this lens can collect. Camera is C3.

Attached Files:

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, nothing wrong with the end result it seems. :)

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Looks like #2 (red watch @ f/2.8) and #4 (unknown flower @ f/2.0 or f/2.8) are quite good and quite sharp it seems ;)

:thumbup:

4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    The 2.8 shots are quite good. Bokeh looks good also.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some nice images. Does not show any bad results.

Make sure and let the seller know how off their description was.

6. Dr.Strangelove

Dr.Strangelove TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm glad you liked the pictures. I got back some of the money I paid for the lens.
    After all, when I removed the front cover of the lens the dirt was pouring out.
    Im not an expert but this must be an amazing lens. Build like a tank and easy to focus.
    I guess that with more light/larger apertures the focus peaking/contrast detection works better, right?