1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Smart Remote Control seems really limited (using on NEX-6)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ajm80031, Jul 27, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I installed the Smart Remote Control app on my NEX-6, and the PlayMemories app on my smartphone. It seems to be really limited. As best as I can tell, from the phone all you can do is:

- Shutter release
    - Set exposer compensation
    - Set 2 second timer
    - Share the photo

On the camera side, it looks like you can adjust a handful of settings (e.g. white balance) while the camera is running the Smart Remote app, but not very many.

It seems like you have no choice as to whether or not a copy of the photo is downloaded to your phone, it does it every time.

Considering that it's a bit complicated to get the app onto the camera (need to have a Sony online account, download app to camera over USB from web browser (didn't work for me) or connect camera to a WiFi network (did work for me, but took forever as I have a long WPA key on my network) that's not a whole lot of control. I played with Panasonic's wifi app with a GH3 briefly and I believe you have a lot more options and control with that, and you don't have to have an online account with the manufacturer to do so.

Am I missing something here, or is this really all the app does?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's really it. And you're not alone in your disappointment. :numbness:

3. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    You can select how to manage the taken picture in Play memories. After making the WiFi connection to your camera, select the little wrench symbol on the bottom left. Then select 'review check'. You'll have 3 options:

Review, save image= the camera's picture is down loaded to the the phone and saved.
    Review only= the camera's picture is downloaded to the phone but NOT saved.
    Off= the camera's picture is NOT downloaded to the phone.

This works on both my phone and tablet. I just wish the whole transfer process was faster.

Hope this helps you.
    Larry

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That makes at least 3 of us :).

5. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I have posted on a few sites regarding the extreme limitations of Sony's WIFI apps and how 3rd party firms have produced great firmware/hardware accessories for Canon and Nikon. Even being able to start and stop video by way of Sony's Play Memories app would be a HUGE advancement.

6. millonario

millonario TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Limited yes. Useless no. I do a lot of photo sharing from my smart phone and when im out and about with my camera, it is so great to be able to transfer pictures from my nex to the phone and then share to facebook or whatever. That and it is very helpfull in lowlight as a shutter release to avoid blurring from manually pressing the shutter button.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkNEX mobile app