1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Smallest Super 35mm camera?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by snowcanyon, Sep 29, 2011.

1. snowcanyon

snowcanyon New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2011
    So I've been thinking, part of what made the 5d mark II such a hit was the large sensor in a small body. Compared to other video/film cameras used by professionals, the 5d is tiny and can be mounted to places other cameras can't. This really opens up a DP's possibilities and provides them with a new freedom. I follow Shane Hurlbut's blog (Hurlbut Visuals) because he has fully embraced the new HDSLR cameras. He once mentioned that a DP's job used to be in the mass moving business. How do we move this giant camera setup the way we need for the shot. Every setup took time and numerous people to accomplish. Now, the equipment to move your camera can be much lighter.

So I've been wondering, with the NEX5n and NEX7 being much smaller than even the 5d Mark II, do you think we'll see these cameras being used for certain situations by professionals. One tool Shane seems to like is the helmet cam with the 5d mounted on top. This puts you right in the character's world. I can't help but think that the NEX-5n would be a better tool for such a setup.

What do you think? Part of me thinks we won't see NEX cameras used on professional sets because they seem to be to far on the consumer end of the market. With advances in technology we now have a NEX camera that in many ways is superior for video to the aging 5d, and I'm excited to see it used for professional shoots. Just waiting for news of such an event. Have any examples?

2. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    Hey snowcanyon and welcome to TalkNex.

Here in Cyprus having more than 9 months of full bright sun, lots of people have those tiny little HD monster cameras which you can wrist-wrap, or sublimely attach it to your head like a small torch light. This is because lots of water sports are happening around the island. From wake boarding to paragliding, moto-cross etc those are fun and oh boy dont get turned off by the size of those. I remember it was a special website which sold them, were about 200 euros a pop, but capable to shoot full HD, are tiny like ciggarete lighter and they can record upto 4gb in size. THOSE, you can put them almost everywhere :)

3. laptiger

laptiger New to TalkEmount

Aug 10, 2013
    Well, how about the NEX-ea50? Essentially it's a nex-5n in a camcorder body.