Small tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jan 16, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am looking for a tripod to capture my wife giving a small concert. She will be performing in a rather small room where roughly 30-40 people can be sited.

I Want to capture her in a video with my sony nex-f3 and the default 18-55 lens. My wife will be sitting on a stage and I would like to set up somewhere the camera to capture her

What type of tripod would be needed for that? Please something affordable would be nice.

As I am also new, I am getting the camera today please give me the easiest settings so to only take care the framing.

Regards
    Alex

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    2. I am wondering, even with the tripod, the OSS might be using as my focus area (a portrait==person singing) slightly is moving around

I will check for your second suggestion but I want to ask how is to deploy it when there is not much room for extending the basement-lengths too long.
    I was also thinking if there is something like one single element (kind of pipe) that needs no setting up and can be used for keeping more stable your camera when sitting on a chair

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Alex, I believe what you're looking for is a monopod. I put a small ballhead on mine, many people do not.

5. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    OOS has nothing to do with continous focus but when you move the camera on the tripod let OOS on!

Bimjo is right, a monopod is what you're looking for.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I want to check if I should go for a monopod or tripod though. Thanks anyway
    Alex

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Monopods look nice and are more friendly to be developed to places where you sit. Would you consider disabling OSS to a monopod?

The other I wanted to ask is how about using a tripod where you do not extend the tripods too much, so they can fit into places where there is not too much space available. Of course this will reduce stability but if you can use even your body to make sure the camera will not fall.

Regards
    Alex

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    There are a couple of hybrid tripods that have a very small footprint - like this Velbon Pole Pod.

I don't recommend a monopod for video, it is unnecessarily tiring. Another thing you could consider is tripods that have a monopod built in, I personally use the Jusino which is both a tripod and monopod.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks! These are great tips.
    What are the requirements for a tripod to fix in a nex-f3?

Alex

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  11. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    That mean that you have a 360° ball head included and built-in already.
    You have to watch out: For some tripods you have to buy the head as an accessory.

12. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    OSS is to control camera movement/shake and has nothing to do with subject movement. To freeze subject movement you need to increase your shutter speed. On a tripod a camera does not (should not) move so hence OSS should be off. For stills that is. For video I am not sure what you do when panning (I don't do much video) but you would still have OSS off for video if the camera is on a tripod and there is no camera movement.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    with a monopod do you also disable OSS? I would guess yes because, camera does not tremble that much

14. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Would not cause you have to hold your camera by hand so small shakes could be still be there with a mono...

15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I have been thinking my self shooting at different scenarios and I find that have something to keep your camera steady is great. I think this can improve the quality of the images you get. The problem I see with the tripod is not very easy to move. For example you are taking photos of a singer that starts singing at the left side of the stage and then he moves at the right. Is not very easy with the tripod to run at the right part of the stage to keep your portraits going on.

That is the reasons that I was looking for o monopod that it might be easier to grub your camera and just run. I do not think though it gives you too much if you still have the OSS turned on.
    Did you have similar type of problems in the fast?

16. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    You can move the camera quite a bit on a tripod with a ballhead or pistol grip, so you would not necessarilly need to move the tripod. That said I have never seen a tripod used for concerts/gigs or theatre except for video of the performance.

A fast lens and hand held is the way forward ideally.

Although I use a monopod outdoors - eg sometimes at events and also when using a telephoto lens so I can knock the shutter speed down a bit and get away with it. But you still need to keep the shutter speed high enough to freeze movement.

Also you don't trip people up with a monopod, whereas a tripod would get in the way at crowded events.

I leave OSS on with a monopod, always off with a tripod. Not sure if that is what you are supossed to do - but a monopod is not rock steady like a tripod, even with good technique so it makes sense to me. I would still rather handhold with a fast lens (like a 50mm 1.8) and get close rather than use a monopod with a telephoto and ballhead - but sometimes you are kept back from the action at events and a telephoto helps you 'get closer'.

The other thing I use a monopod for is to hold it in the air to take shots over a crowd or looking down from above (with a cable remote) or over the edge of a building/cliff that type of thing. At an event you need to be at the back though (to make sure there is nobody behind you) as it's not really fair to block their view with your 'camera on a stick' unless you are just doing 1 or 2 quick shots I guess...

17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    How much do you gain in terms of shutter speed with the OSS enabled? Without it I need at least shutter speed of 250 to have a non blurred image.

18. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Kind reminder, if someone has a feeling how much you earn in terms of shutter speed with OSS enabled... (assume you are shooting at same conditions with OSS and without)

Alex

19. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    The figure that I have seen claimed is 3 f-stops. That seems believable to me, but I have not made any attempt to confirm this in a structured test.

If that is accurate, then your need for a shutter speed of 1/250th of a second would translate into a need for a shutter speed of 1/30th of a second. Note that this assumes that blur caused by camera shake is the limiting factor - which is not always the case. For example, if your subject is moving when you press the shutter, you may need a faster shutter to avoid blur caused by motion of the subject - unless you actually desire that effect for artistic reasons.

- Tom -

20. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That's a huge imporevement actually allowing me to use lower iso!! Great thanks