1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Small & light

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Aug 29, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Some of you will probably recall that I bought a Pentax K-30 last December. I was enamored with the idea of a weather-sealed camera, and the K-30 was the camera that kept popping up in my feature and user satisfaction search. It was indeed a nice camera, and it was rather cool taking it out in blizzards (literally) to photograph the Winter landscape as I hiked. For a while, my 5R didn't get much love. I bought several K-mount lenses to go with it.

Some things about the K-30 were vexing, however. There is no live-view metering with manual lenses; one must set the lens aperture, then press the Green Button to stop down the camera to the desired f-stop. The camera had a way of really blowing out the highlights if I wasn't careful about picking my metering point. Pentax's implementation of focus peaking leaves much to be desired, in my opinion, and only works when the scene is viewed on the LCD. I still got great results with it most of the time, but it just seemed foreign to me, even after carrying it on many hikes. I started using the 5R more again, leaving the K-30 at home.

One thing about the K-30 I liked was the OVF. Figuring Sony's EVF was the next best thing, I searched for and found a NEX-6 at a great price. It is a great camera, all that the 5R was plus the viewfinder. The size is perfect, and I much prefer the way it feels in my hands compared to the K-30. I was reminded again that simple and pack-able is really my preferred way of doing things, and the DSLR-lust was cured, permanently.

The 5R and K-30 were both put up for sale, and remarkably, sold fairly quickly. I also put up the majority of my SLR lenses for sale, and most of them are gone. I bought a Pen F 38/1.8 and 25/4, as well as a SEL20F28, which is on its way. I like the tiny form factor of the Pen lenses. I also am keeping my Pentax Q and its tiny 8.5mm prime for those times when I want an absolute minimalist camera, or want to get some bird's-eye views from a model airplane. I will be listing a couple of other SLR lenses this weekend. My infatuation with long lenses is over; the only telephotos I plan to keep are the Vivitar/Kiron 70-150 and MD 135.

I think I've re-learned that the expression "the grass is always greener on the other side" really does apply to photography. I've successfully reduced my lens collection to those that I really want to keep and use. The only other lens I have in mind of buying in the future is the Pen F 20/3.5, and even then only if I can find one at a price I find reasonable ($250 for a lens with moderate haze and a stiff focusing ring is not what I would call reasonable).

Hopefully, my NEX-6 will survive the next time I go hiking in a blizzard. :)

Tony

• Like Like x 4
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :rofl:

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'm wounded . . lol! Ahhh, well. My wife is used to me buying a lens, using it for a while, then selling it on if I find it doesn't suit my whims . . . errm, photo style. After selling off a box full of lenses and a couple of cameras, I have 3 very small lenses now on their way to me. Must. stay. away. from. keyboard.

Tony

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too have the NEX-6 and find it perfect for my needs. A few minor complaints, but nothing too serious.

I have no plans on changing/upgrading anytime soon.

As to lenses, I am very happy with my primes, still looking for that perfect zoom.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have bought and sold a number of zooms. Some I was very enthusiastic about at first, then lost interest as time went on. I think from now on, I'm sticking with primes, except for the one zoom I already have.

Tony

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have one I really like, a 70-150mm Vivitar.

I just got a 35-105mm that I have yet to play with.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Yeah, I like the 70-150. Of the various zooms I've bought, it has the best IQ. That's the one I'm keeping.

Tony

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The only issue is that it starts at 70mm.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Does it have to be a legacy adapted lens? If not, (I know I probably sound like a broken record) but the G 18-105 PZ is an amazing all around everyday-use lens IMO that is also affordable. From the moment I bought it, it has changed my whole perspective about MF lenses :)

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That does seem like a great lens.

I have been focusing on Legacies, mostly due to price. I've spent to much lately. ;-)

11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I do prefer legacy lenses for most of my work, although a short super-zoom like that does cover a lot of territory.
    Same here.

Tony