1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Small camera / tablet backpack?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RAWFA, Dec 28, 2011.

1. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Hi guys,

I´m looking for a backpack that is not too big that may acomodate some photography equipment, a 7" tablet and some personal items (keys, cellphone, wallet, etc). So far the only one that I really like is the Lowepro fastpack 150 AW (the 100 AW cannot fit the tablet and the 200 AW is a bit bigger than I´d like).

These are the things I´ll probably be taking on the backpack:
    - NEX5 (nex-5N soon, I hope)
    - 16mm 2.8 pancake
    - CCTV 35mm f1.7
    - Sigma 70-300mm macro.
    - 2 batts
    - 1 charger
    - About 3 SD cardas
    - A 7 inch tablet

It would be nice if I could also fit on it a gorilla pod, my wallet, keys, a small headphone and my cellphone. But like I said I don´t really want a big backpack though.

What other options do I have other than the Lowepro fastpack 150 AW ?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Have a look at the Lowepro classified 160, while it's more of a sling it does fit in all of your gear.

3. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    I would look at KATA bags, small Bumblebee or one of their other ones. The quality is excellent and the prices very competitive.

4. BackpackBrands

BackpackBrands New to TalkEmount

Jan 17, 2012
    USA
    Try to search more in Google I'm sure that there are lots of bags you can see.

5. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Wow, what a great addition to the forum. Such wonderful advice.

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    waooo if true, that's love for nex5n, like me, I've been looking for a backpack for my nex5n and my lenses , but something that is not too large nor too small so I'm still looking and Lowepro are a good choice,and a few weeks ago, I was B & H and found an ideal backpack but do not buy it and I'm really angry, because after returning home and seeing all my gear I realized that was perfect

7. vet3shaws

vet3shaws New to TalkEmount

Portable cases for Nex, not DSLRs

Hello all,

I've been really trying hard to find a proper case, not too big, not too small. My wife needs it to be comfy, but she wants just one, which both of us will be secure in carrying. ;) Somethings look too manly (read, ugly) I suppose too, but the point is not to look too much like a "steal me, pawn me" sign flashing in covetous eyes.

I found this Tamrac Zuma 7 at BestBuy, that opens 3 ways, allows me to put lens in easy to access compartments, includes space for a tablet or a netbook. I passed because it was $120. Now I think about it, it's not a bad price. But it's deeper than I'd like, and I don't need to carry my tablet around.

You can learn more about the other Zuma cases at their website.

Personally, I'm looking for something small like the Gariz case. There's two ones so far, a small 2 lens one, and the more spacious one. It looks like it could use the help of people who use the camera, not just bag makers. Most of these are too big for our specific camera. I'm trying to talk with them to design it so it can fit about 7 lenses. A little "Tetris" re-organizing, with specific lens in mind, to max the fit well.

It's tough to find something for a camera that's not going to let our little Nex flop around, but we can cut out our own foam protection to put in, which I think I saw some on maybe Amazon recently.

Currently, I'm using the Lowepro TopLoader 45, left over from my Canon T3i kit. I also bought the Lens Case 9 x 13cm, about $20 from BestBuy, which it alone fits the Nex-5n with 2 lens. How tiny is our camera, right? But when the Sliplock attachment tab puts it together, I have plenty of room for the following lenses:

*18-55mm Kit lens (maybe will sell, after I get the right prime lenses)
    *Pancake, Ultra-wide adapter, Fisheye adapter
    *35mm f1.7 cctv lens with C-mount adapter
    *Accessories: 2 extra batteries, 2 lens pens, a remote control
    *Future purchases: SEL50f18, Voitlander Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 MC.

I just wish everything wasn't piled ontop of each other, but had spacers, a compartment for each lens. The Tamrac Zuma 7 is not as big as other backpacks, but I wish it was less deep, to better fit our shorter mirror-less camera. We can ask for the Zuma 7 CSC to come out? The Gariz is expensive, but maybe they can just make some few adjustments after I submit my schematic to them. I like Case Logic cases in general, but again like Zuma, too roomy for most of their DSLR things. I hope with the popularity of the Nex series, selling out, will show the demand for a proper case, for this new format.

I realize some may want to bring the Tablet around. So I thought, maybe instead of a 3" screen, a 10" would be better to review and critique your shots, right? Maybe using the $30 Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit one can view images stored on the card. But several sales people have told me one must import first, then view. That isn't good when I'm running low on space on my iPad, plus it's a whole unnecessary middle step. It's a nice extra to import, if one doesn't have a bunch of SD cards lying around, like I do. But I'm looking to review for quality, not taking quantity. So does anyone know if the Connection Kit allows one to view my SD cards directly, without import?

Sincerely,
    Vincent

8. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    Just tell the iPad not to delete. I use the eye-fi card and my iPad / iPhone. Both have 64 gigs, so I can dump pics automatically. I am very happy with the setup. Don't confine yourself to camera specific bags. Look at motorcyclist and bicyclist bags/ packs as well. The biggest problem I had was finding a bag that worked well with my small tripod. Too big of a tripod gets in the way sitting and walking

9. vet3shaws

Hi HappyPuppy,

Not deleting is good, but, not importing is better. For instance, I'll use my HP TM2 (12" convertible Tablet) to view, but I only import to my server at home when ready to offload. I have 2 16GB crazy fast cards, so I have no rush to delete off the card. What is nice is I can simply put my SD card into the tablet, review, make mental notes on the shots to adjust my ISO, shutter, focus, compare bokeh depth, etc. Then, simply eject. Fast, no importing, no middle step needed.

One should just plug 1.) SD card in, 2.) view, 3.) eject. This is all I do on my Windows 7 Tablet. Easy.

It'd be great if the iPad accessory didn't need us to 1.) plug in accessory, 2.) plug in SD card, 3.) import, 4.) tell not to delete off card, 5.) view, 6.) eject, 7.) delete images on iPad. That's way too many steps.

Good thoughts about the motorcyclist and bicyclist bags. But I just purchased the Voitlander Nokton Classic 35mm 1.2. So I am leaning towards only carrying this one lens, going minimalist for most of the time. Yet, a larger carry-all would be nice for the lens I'll be keeping for flexibility. I'm excited to see what we can find in the coming year, because of the sell-out popularity and rave reviews of the Nex-5n and the Nex-7. :)

Sincerely,
    Vincent

10. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    One more possibility, but not with an iPad, is the National Geographic small sling (currently from Adorama with a separate passport/document pouch). It is very rugged, with a wide
    canvas sling and several small compartments which can hold an 18-200 separately and an NEX7 with a short or pancake lens, plus batteries, cards, etc. I love
    the way it takes a half second to put in on bandolier style and it is thin enough to fit under a coat.

11. vet3shaws

Hi all, I'm using the S&F Utility Bag 100 AW, for my Nex-5n and even expand it to do more using slip-lock lens case. For $33, I love how it's slip enough but built like a tank. It may not hold a tablet, but I often carry my laptop easily along with this, since it's so lightweight.

Amazon.com: Lowepro S&F Utility Bag 100 AW: Camera & Photo

12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1 for the Slings

I just came across a Lowepro SlingShot Camera Bag (can't recall what model exactly), at the mall earlier today... I think it's what I've been looking for (not sure if a tablet will fit tho). The one I saw was khaki and it looked very inconspicuous which I like very much, because it doesn't look like a camera bag in that colour. I like the way that it's a sling so that it can be accessed without taking it off my shoulder. I sometimes ride a mountainbike when I go wandering and it'll be perfect for that. It was designed for an SLR but I think it'll work great for a NEX kit.

[​IMG] Slingshot_202_-_5__45969_zoom.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'm a fan of slings as well (when I'm bringing a lot of gear, I usually use a small messenger style) as you can just slip it from your back to access your gear as opposed to taking it off altogether to access your gear as you would a backpack. Take a gander at Lowepro's Classified slings, they come in 2 sizes, I'm sure one can accomodate a laptop and the smaller one can accomodate a tablet.

14. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    I ended up going with the Kata 3N1-11. It fits the NEX-5N with the kit zoom, the 16mm, a 50mm, a 23mm, a mic...and there is a lot of pockets, zippers, and small compartments for a mic, sd cards, keys, a cell phone, documents and even a specific compartment for a small tablet :) It´s an awesome little bag.

15. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Another nod for this great bag. I took it for a trip to Buenos Aires (4 days walking around the city) and I have never felt this comfortable with so much equipment on me. I just love this little bag. It´s just perfect for mirrorless systems with room to spare.
    The other day I doing some location scouting for a documentary and all of the sudden we were hit by this MASSIVE tropical storm. I mean I was literally soaked in about 1 minute, but my bag was protected by Kata´s water resistant cape....not one drop got in!

16. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Hey RAWFA,

Wondering how you are getting on with this bag, I ended up with the same, initially pleased with it, but then after using it a few times (as a sling bag) found that my C3 was bouncing around within the compartment. My solution was to reduce the height of the compartment by packing it with about 1 & 1/2 inch of foam at the bottom, works a treat now..

The only thing I am not too impressed with is that as the bag gets used it naturally expands losing some of its original form, in turn the padding sections that come included are no longer large enough to reach each side of the bag, resulting in open gaps, in turn allowing items to move between compartments...

I,ll attach a Photo later of how I have the bag set up and would welcome to see how you are using yours.

Cheers

Ps. Did you get a tripod to fix to the bag, if so, what did you go for??