1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

SLR Magic. Have you tried it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 17, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Only a rebranded, much more expensive version of the Fujian 35mm f/1.7 that can be had for less than 30 bucks. I have one, and, while the IQ may be okay, is not a lens I would recommend to anybody. Actually, the focus ring is really bad, focus peaking doesn't work well with this lens ('cos it's not sharp at all) and IQ is not the best.. It's a okay-ish video-lens though - if you don't have to refocus too precisely, of course.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am finding the lense you have for 30 euros..

Fujian 35mm F/1.7 | eBay

Hm.. what do you say .. worth trying it?? Which adaptor do I need?

P.S Just googling it,,, could not find adapter for nex-f3 but rather nex-3 and nex-5

4. Edwin

Edwin TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 15, 2013
    I have bought and sold the SLR Magic 35 f/1.7 and the best I can say that it's a toy lens. Stills are fun because you get shallow DOF and sharp-ish center with really soft edges. It's cool to use it for video but then again it doesn't have IS. The build is crappy and cheap.

slr magic 35 f17.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Here is a cheaper model, as you can see it does not even fill up the whole frame.

2uvagety.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    You just need a C-mount to E-mount adapter. The one that works on NEX-3/5 will work on your F3. There's no electronics to worry about.

I had the Fujian 35/1.7 and for $40 I will never complain about this lens. It's fine as a special effect/toy lens, but not an everyday lens. The build quality is indeed quite crap (the front of the lens can be unscrewed by hand(!) and focus element is a bit loose. I think the SLR Magic version is overpriced, since it's basically the Fujian with the C-mount adapter glued on. Maybe you get better build quality but for the limited use it has it's not really worth paying more for that. My version of the Fujian covered the APS-C frame, but needed to be stopped down past f5 to get any kind of corner sharpness

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    What better alternatives are there to also help me learn the joy of manual focus?

Alex

8. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would go with an md adapter and a minolta 1.7 to start. Both together will cost you usually under 50 bucks.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    For that matter any 50/1.8 will do. The name-brand ones (Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Konica, etc) are all uncompromisingly sharp and this being the old standard "kit" lens are cheap and common on ebay.