Slide copying, anyone?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jefenator, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Finally got this rig together: NEX-7 --> Fotodiox Adapter --> Nikon Extension Tube --> Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:3.5 --> 14mm extension ring --> Nikon ES-1

We'll see if it's worth all the trouble. :)

Attached Files:

• etsy.
      etsy.jpg
      File size:
      111.4 KB
      Views:
  2. garethwi

garethwi TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Netherlands
    Gareth
    Interesting. Can we see some scanned slides?

3. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sure! Here's a scanned slide taken on Fuji Velvia 50:

kc-state-park-velvia50.

And just for reference, I did the exact same capture on location with my NEX-7:

kc-state-park-N7.

I must say, the digital capture looks much. Much. Cleaner. And more appealing overall for what I was trying to do. I learned a few things and was prompted to get Lightroom, just to try and approximate those Velvia colors (which I'm not even sure I like that much - but I was way overdue to step up my post processing game so it was well worth it).

Had this gone better, I might have been enticed into adopting a "hybrid" work flow (i.e. shooting film then scanning). My scans from back in the day do have a certain character that you can only really get with film. (I've done some free trials of some premium film emulation plug-ins and wasn't particularly impressed.) Ideally, my old Nikon F3 might have become my "redneck full-frame". As it is, I don't think I'll be hauling it out on the next road trip - the results are just not worth the hassle.

4. garethwi

garethwi TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Netherlands
    Gareth
    Very nice.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There is no middle ground with Velvia- you either love it or hate it. I'm a lover. Or I was until digital entered my life. ;)

Interesting that the sky is so much more vivid in the Velvia shot and the greens are so much more pronounced in the 7 shot. I would have thought the film shot would be overall more saturated than the digital shot.

6. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    The digital shot actually has my "Jeff's Velvia 50" Lightroom preset slapped on it. Doesn't really nail Velvia 50 at all but for most landscapes - even back home in Oregon - I like it as much as any other setting or effect I've auditioned.