TalkEmount Legend
Thanks guys...
Tried it with "Malwarebytes" disabled, no help
Tried it with "Norton Security" disabled, no help

Will poke around with Luminar Support when I get a chance

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Took advantage of the special sale and purchased/downloaded Luminar 2018 a couple days ago and so far I am really liking it! Fun, fast and so far giving me satisfactory results. I'm coming from using Photoshop (a long time ago, last version being CS3) and Aperture (Apple's editing/DAM software that came out right about the same time that Lightroom did but which is now no longer supported).....and I'm pleased with the relatively intuitive setup of Luminar and the fact that it doesn't take me long to do simple edits.

ETA: even more pleased now that I've experimented and found that, yes, Luminar 2018 converts to RAW for my new RX100 M6!! I'd been shooting in jpg thinking that there were no RAW conversions out there yet.....

Last edited:

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
There was a minor update of Luminar last night, more important, perhaps was the news later in the email advising of the update that the long awaited DAM (Libraries) feature has a launch date.
"The long-awaited Libraries feature is rolling out starting December 18. We’re busy testing the software and polishing up the new features. As promised, this update will be free for all Luminar 2018 users."

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I'm really hoping that their DAM works well. If it does, I'll be ending my Adobe CC subscription. I've been holding off on the learning curve from regular Photoshop to Luminar, but come January, I'll be doing a deep dive to decide if I don't need Adobe any more and then that $10 a month will get to go something something more worthwhile!

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I've been playing around with the new Sky Enhancer tool on some old raw files, and have been impressed with its ability to isolate the sky elements in a photo, including the warm elements of a sunset, without messing with the rest of the image. And without requiring any masking.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course, like the rest of the sliders in Luminar, it takes some recalibration (coming from Lightroom) on my part to avoid overprocessing an image. It's very easy to go too far.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
One other noteworthy item that Skylum recently made available (for free!) along with the Sky Enhancer is their Tonality B&W Megapack, which provides 170 B&W presets. Not all of them are to my taste, but all of them are editable after being applied. And with 170 of them, I have more than I think I could ever use. This one's called "Yellowstone."

When thinking about eventually ditching Lightroom, I know that I'd have to find some replacement for Silver Efex Pro. And after playing with just a small fraction of the 170 available presets, I believe that this B&W Tonality pack will do the trick for me just fine.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Do you think you are getting closer to the results you want from your captures using Luminar, or is it just different than Lightroom? Or perhaps you can get it mostly right in camera and only need minor tweaks? Does it handle minutiae like removing dust spots or removing distracting objects from a picture well? Can it blend or composite multiple images, e.g. panos or HDR?

I have been pretty committed to Capture One, but it seems the Sony subsidy might be going away and it could get expensive to keep it up to date. I was never fond of Lightroom. The Skylum web site seems to want me to believe everything is simple and pointy-clicky. I admit I am skeptical, and have never been a big fan of presets or filters. I am probably getting old and curmudgeonly. I suppose I should just download the trial and see for myself.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Do you think you are getting closer to the results you want from your captures using Luminar, or is it just different than Lightroom? Or perhaps you can get it mostly right in camera and only need minor tweaks? Does it handle minutiae like removing dust spots or removing distracting objects from a picture well? Can it blend or composite multiple images, e.g. panos or HDR?
I mostly like the results I get from Luminar. But sometimes Lightroom does do a better job for me, mostly because I'm a long-time Lightroom user and am more familiar with it. I always try to get things right in-camera, but all of my images get at least some post-processing. Luminar does have a clone & heal brush, but it's not as sophisticated as Lightroom's. I haven't investigated composites or panos yet. And with the dynamic range of my A7RII, I simply haven't had any need to do any HDR developing.

I have been pretty committed to Capture One, but it seems the Sony subsidy might be going away and it could get expensive to keep it up to date. I was never fond of Lightroom. The Skylum web site seems to want me to believe everything is simple and pointy-clicky. I admit I am skeptical, and have never been a big fan of presets or filters. I am probably getting old and curmudgeonly. I suppose I should just download the trial and see for myself.
Yes, I think the free trial is the way to go for you, Bob. Plus there's an online manual and plenty of YouTube videos. "Presets" and "Filters" are just Skylum's terminology for their development modules, and are all editable and configurable. They're not the same thing as an Instagram filter, for instance.

Bottom line: if Luminar's DAM is any good, Lightroom will get deleted from my computer.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
If I may put my 2 cents worth in Bob, as a rank amateur when it comes to post-processing, I have found Luminar very intuitive for removing spots, and blending two images. It's probably not for everyone, but I was just starting to develop my processing in Lightroom when they ditched the stand alone software. So for the last year or so I've been playing with Luminar, and the only thing that's grated on me a bit is the lack of an integrated Image management system, I'm hoping that this is now going to be resolved with the Libraries module. For editing there are multiple ways to go about it, you can use the included presets, then tickle them, or you can use individual filters, or filter packs, or any combination of these methods with layering as well.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Thanks guys. Good to know Luminar filters <> Instagram filters, heh. Layering? I have found that extremely useful in C1. I will have to give Luminar a try, maybe this weekend.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
My first attempt at merging two photo's into one was this, simply by opening each of the first two photo's in their own image layer and then playing with the opacity, and exposure sliders.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
Well at the moment I'm feeling a bit dudded. Last night I received an email from Skylum with a link to install Luminar 3, this surprised me a bit as the official launch is supposed to be on the 18th. Turns out they decide to "soft launch" to a few countries.
" Are you located in Canada, Australia, or Austria? We did a soft-release of Luminar 3 in those countries today, but the rest of the world will get access on December 18."
Anyway I went ahead with the install which seemed to go smoothly, clicked on the launch button at the end of the process and got a splash screen that didn't go away. So after waiting several minutes, I tried the old turn the computer off, then restart. This time the program launched, prompted me for activation, then asked me for my picture locations, then proceeded to catalog the pictures. The cataloging took quite a long time,(which I sort of expected given the quantity of photo's), and when it eventual finished I decided to shut down for the evening and start fresh with it this morning. Got up this morning and watched the introductory video, then tried to launch the software. No luck, I get a small splash screen saying Luminar 3 and my cursor appears as the windows wait ring while over this but nothing else happens. Nothing appears on the task bar, it doesn't even come up on task manager, and the only way to get rid of the splash screen is to restart. So I tried the link in the email for tech support, that just took me to a FAQ page which had little to do with the new version, I was able to submit a query, but other than an automated "someone will respond shortly" message have yet to get an answer. I also tried getting a response from their facebook page but, other than advising me to contact tech support, didn't get anywhere.
Sorry for the wordy rant, but as you may have gathered I'm more than a little frustrated right now.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
That’s not very reassuring. There’s been a lot of moaning about the apparently half-baked DAM over at Sony Alpha Rumors too. Here’s hoping they have a quick fix for you, Dave.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
At least the new update is a totally separate install, so my copy of Luminar 2018 still works, it's just frustrating to get something you've been looking forward to, and then have it not work.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom