1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Skyline

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by orlcam88, Jun 2, 2018.

1. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I went to the World Observatory in NYC last week for the first time and I would say that it's not for photographers. The reason being is you are behind glass and each of the window panels are very narrow. So with the crowds and the narrowness, I was a bit disappointed. The WTC had an outside view and it was better for photographers.

I didn't have a filter to deflect reflections so the majority of the photos were a wash. I had timed my entry to the Observatory to catch the sunset but the prime location was a distant spot away from the window so I couldn't get up close to prevent reflections.

In my opinion, the best location to take skyline photos in NYC is the top of the Rock. It gets you a nice view of the Empire State building and it's open space. The Empire State building is another spot but crowded.

So these are the best that I took that day.
    NYC_180525-04813. NYC_180525-04831. NYC_180525-04839. NYC_180525-04843. NYC_180525-04847.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Fantastic group!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Forgot to mention, the 3rd one is supposedly an NSA building.

4. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Perhaps it is good you forgot the mention it:wink:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Great shots, with great light. Boy, NYC sure puts the mega in polis, doesn’t it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks David!

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think this situation called for long exposure, low iso, manual focus, tripod photography :) 
    The views are amazing though!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I use a polarising filter on my 85mm lens and if I'm not careful it can leave a green dot in my pictures. I've been a tourist on the top of the rock, it's just so crowded it feels selfish to hog any space you may get to take pics..... plus there are iPhones being held out into space all the time adding to the lack of opportunity to get any decent pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It's not an NSA building, it's been in NYC for decades. One of telephone central switching headquarters of New York Telephone. Now Verizon.

Oh, and tripods and monopods are prohibited at nearly all these observation decks...you know, because of terrorism. :rolleyes:  Too bad.

10. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    WOW!!
    Great set!!

Spending most of my time in wide open spaces, I feel quite claustrophobic looking at the density of the city :D 
    Its a city I wouldn't mind visiting all the same ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I thought it was owned by AT&T? No matter, the NSA may be embedded. The truth is out there. ;)  :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    There's too many people to do long exposure with a tripod as someone can trip over them. I thought using one was illegal but apparently it's not but there's rules placed by property owners prohibiting it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  13. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    the NSA took it over from Verizon a few years back. There's tons of info on it. Do a search for NSA NYC

14. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    All of the 3 are crowded but I was able to get space on both the Empire State building and the Top of Rock to take photos. With World Observatory, it's a tight squeeze between the panels if you can get to it. Also there's not a 360 degree of view unless you want to eat at the restaurant!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I remember that building from my days in NY as a kid. Bob mentioned above that AT&T took over it. That's a full circle since before Ma Bell was divided up. It's disconcerting to think it belongs to the NSA now and the threat to our privacy. All of New York metro and New England phone switching goes through it. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.