• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sky replacement in Photoshop 3021

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I am quite impressed with the Photoshop 2021 One-Click Sky Replacement
Original
Hawkwatch.jpg

Sky replacement
Hawkwatch.sky.jpg

Original with blank sky
Hawkwatch_1481.jpg

One click sky replacement
Hawkwatch_1481 sky.jpg

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Hm. Can’t say I find either one to my liking. The second photo especially, with the blurred background in the original, but the clouds in sharp focus in the “photoshopped” image. Still, cool trickery.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I thought the first one was alright. The find the thing with all these sky replacement options out there is that the clouds from the replacement image seldom match the picture itself. Either the light is from the wrong direction, or the colors don't match, or shadows/reflections are out of sync, or ... well, you get the idea. I suppose someday they will overcome all that, too, and the world will lose touch with what is real versus what is created by algorithms, as science fiction has mused about before. I wonder what kind of world my great-grandchildren will inherit.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Yes, I agree that the first one works better. But in a “real” photo, getting a sharp closeup of the bird’s head AND sharp clouds in the background, the image would have to be shot at f/22 or something in that range. Maybe with a pinhole camera?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Or focus stacking, maybe. But on 2nd viewing, I see what you mean.

It is amazing what software is able to do these days.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
I find it to be a great way to make better photographs.
I am with Bob wondering which kind of World are our descendants to inherit. In that regard I am pretty pessimist. Oh well, never mind !... ;)

I have as you can see bellow, adjusted the shadows before applying the new sky. The group the filter creates is unfolded allowing to use the masks in case we need to.
It is a very powerful tool when correctly applied.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Musing about this, if one is going to do it, what might be better is a "replacement sky generator" rather than pulling in a sky from another picture. You could incorporate type of clouds, density, light direction, wind effects, etc. Maybe even something to make it look like a long exposure. OK, I am getting carried away, but this should be totally doable. They already do generate skies for things like games and movies and it can look very realistic.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
First I warmed up a bit the photo in LR

Then I applied the sky. Note that the + signal allow you to upload your own sky

Then the start photo in CC

Then with sky applied with a small global adjustment

I am aware that this is very non-interesting photograph but to play with the sky replacement it is very good.
Thoughts... if you please​

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Come on AOAuto... it is so easy.
Here CC failed a bit. Or perhaps it is me who is falling ! ;)
NOTE - It is not possible to go back to this edition when using a Smart Object. In the next version of CC !

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Not to derail the ins and outs of sky replacement, but Blake Rudis points out that PS 22 also includes an even more useful option than sky replacement. I was very impressed by it. All of the following is lifted from his YouTube tutorial, which I recommend to you (my photo, however).

First, I took this photo in San Diego in December, 2018, at the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, having recently bought my A7III. I used the Sony FE 24-70 f4 lens (1/640 at f7.1, ISO 100, 24mm - yes, a ND filter would have been a good idea and I probably could have stopped down more). I’ve applied some basic LR adjustments to the first photo. Not bad, but the sky doesn’t have the intensity that I recall it having.

_MJW0628.jpg

Following Rudis’s suggestions, I opened the adjusted photo in PS.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.51.57 AM.png

Then, I selected the sky: Select>sky
PS makes a selection which you can then save and/or adjust like any other selection. I used the selection that PS had made and added a curves adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.12.08 AM.png

Note how the tree to the left is not included in the selection. Thus, any adjustments will not apply to it. I then duplicated this layer CMD + J (on a Mac) and inverted the selection CMD + I (on a Mac). Now there are two adjustment layers with masks that are the reverse of each other. I reordered the masks such that the foreground is first, with the sky second. I also named them. I did very little to the foreground layer and only a little bit to the sky layer - moved the black point over a bit, which deepened the sky, with the result as shown. The adjustment layers, of course, could adjust anything - color balance, sharpening, whatever you wanted. One could, of course, do much the same thing with a graduated adjustment layer that had painted out the tree, but at least in my experience it would have been more difficult.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.54.02 AM.png

_MJW0628-Edit.jpg

It is “my” sky, although like all photography I have adjusted what my gadget recorded to suit my idea of what was there. It is a much less extreme strategy than replacing the sky, but allows for a great deal of control.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I do something similar now and then in Capture One using masks based on luminance or colors, or in worst case with automasking enabled. Works pretty well in there, too, for me anyway.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
I thought the first one was alright. The find the thing with all these sky replacement options out there is that the clouds from the replacement image seldom match the picture itself. Either the light is from the wrong direction, or the colors don't match, or shadows/reflections are out of sync, or ... well, you get the idea.
This tool is very adjustable. And I think the most useful ones are Flip and Scale. I replaced too many skies in many of my photos manually and it's very time consuming. This new feature is a big deal, would help a lot and I'm sure a lot of users would appreciate this new feature Adobe finally came up with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom