1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Skin tones - do they look natural ?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amamba, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I recently realized that as much as I liked SEL50f1.8, I was barely using it because of FL that's really neither here nor there on APS-C. I was using it as a dedicated portrait lens mainly, and this meant most of he time it would be left at home. So I figured that's $200 I could use for some other lens, and sold it. My intention was to use my Minolta MC50/1.4 PG when I may need a portrait prime.

As luck would have it, right after finding a buyer for my 50/1.8 I stumbled upon a really cheap Minolta Maxxum 50/1.7 (the original version) on the local Craigslist. Lately I'd take an AF lens over a MF lens if I have a choice (getting lazy ?) so I jumped at it.

The lens is in great shape - this is the 2nd copy of this lens I've had and it's amazing just now well built they are.

Anyway, trying it out this weekend, and I am curious if the skin tones look ok to you. I had a lot of red cast in this photo and tried to make it look as natural as possible. Does it need a better WB adjustment ?

DSC05726-5 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    hard to tell as i've never seen these people with my own eyes, i sometimes let LR do an auto adjust just to see what it spits out before i manually tweak the settings

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It's a matter of taste, but I think it is often better to go a little bit warmer than what is strictly speaking "accurate" when skin tones are important.

On my monitor, this photo looks a little on the cool side.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Looking at it on the calibrated screen of a laptop I'd think it's OK, no reddish or magenta or yellow tinge as far as I can see (disclaimer: I'm slightly colour blind :)). The skin tones look bleak, but that may be just the way they are and the picture might just be a bit on the cool side but that's the kind of lighting I guess, doesn't bother me.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Doesn't look cool to me on my Samsung monitor. Slight yellow warm. But looks fine to me, works with the lighting of the shoot.

6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Seconded, everything is a bit too yellowish on my calibrated screen, especially the girl's face.
    You didn't ask for it Amamba (I hope it's OK), but this is a straight, one-click BW conversion:

d25dw4ji.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The B&W isn't my cup of tea, tbh.. But yes edits are welcome.

I am also seeing a bit of yellow. Will try & fix.

I think that LA-EA2 was the best accessory I bought for any camera.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed. Without knowing the two, it is hard to tell. The blessing of editing software is the ability to adjust skin tones.

Ya, I would rather see a warm face than a pale one

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I think a light touch of saturation would benefit the image overall and the skin and the girls hair tome at the same time

10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hmm, always tricky with skin tones.

For me the overall WB is a little cool, and while their complexion is (naturally) quite pale the girl's skin is a shade too yellow.
    I think bumping saturation up might make her skin too yellow, and bumping vibrance up might make his skin a bit blue.

if you edit in LR, you experiment with adding a whisper of magenta back in using the "Tone" slider?

11. siftu

siftu TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Agreed with the touch of magenta, they look a little green to me

12. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Amamba , I'll send you a link how to fix this bit later, it's a bit long to type and I'm on a train with a lousey connection.

13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, appreciate all the help.

He's naturally very pale / fair skinned, she's a tad more on a tan side ( but only compared to him, she is still pretty fair skinned).

What I really need is a way to turn yellow into pink :)

14. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
  15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, I know how to use masks and layers. The problem is finding just the right color setting.

16. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I'm sure you do the trick is the selectingf that colour/ hue which this technique demonstrates

17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Last edit.. I think this looks more natural, although the difference is subtle

DSC05726-5a by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  18. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    looks good!

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't compare because the first picture is gone, but I think I liked the earlier version better, this one is too bleak for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am late to this thread and cannot see your latest result for some reason, but I seem to recall you have CaptureOne. If so, it might be worth a shot to try the white balance tool, which has a skin tone tab. There you can select the color of skin you want, then use the dropper to pick a patch of skin and it will try to adjust colors accordingly. I have barely used it, but maybe it will work well for you. Or not. Just thought I would throw that out there.

• Informative Informative x 1