• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sixth-scale military figures

6so

TalkEmount Regular
Sixth-scale military figures - updated 31/12

Had couple of cheapo flashguns lying around,so try out nex6 off camera flashing.

Was using SAL 50mm f2.8 macro,phottix stratosII trigger and 2 units of octopus manual flash.

Manual focussing with strobes it's kinda an oddball as I couldn't know what f-stop to which when using a manual adaptor.The Raw file from nex6 is not bad and way richer than 550d.
nex6-1-2.jpg
NEX-6    ----       f/1.0    1/160s    ISO 200

nex6-1.jpg
NEX-6    ----       f/1.0    1/160s    ISO 200

Thanks for looking.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Wow - nice work!

I've been mulling getting a strobe or two - this might just push me over the edge. (Never been a studio guy at all but it's time for me to go ahead & step that game up.)

6so

TalkEmount Regular
Strobing need not just confine to studio.It can be very handy for outdoor and low light situation.Just that there's some steep learning curve to it.

And couple more pics taken with the completed figure.
cjsotf-1-3.jpg
NEX-6    ----       f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 100

cjsotf-1.jpg
NEX-6    ----       f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 100

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
That is absolutey AWESOME !!! I'm thoroughly impressed. I've never gone as far as taking the flash off the camera. I guess I've gotten comfortable and secure with my on-camera use of a flashlight, which in turn has made me lazy to try something else. I also tend to chase my subjects around (literally speaking) so having the flash on the cam is actually an asset for what I do. But I'm seriously awed by those shots anyway !! Care to explain your set-up here ??

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Very nice! Incredible detail in these & the exposures are spot-on. Well done!

Welcome to the board BTW. :)

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Amazing detail on those military figures!

Your flash work is even more amazing. I can't help but notice how wonderful the shadow cast is - on the face/eyes from the helmet overhang. At first glance I thought these images were high end CGI. Very impressive, 6so!

6so

TalkEmount Regular
That is absolutey AWESOME !!! I'm thoroughly impressed. I've never gone as far as taking the flash off the camera. I guess I've gotten comfortable and secure with my on-camera use of a flashlight, which in turn has made me lazy to try something else. I also tend to chase my subjects around (literally speaking) so having the flash on the cam is actually an asset for what I do. But I'm seriously awed by those shots anyway !! Care to explain your set-up here ??
Here you go...(sorry for crappy phone pictures):p
20121126_075724.jpg
GT-N7100    ---    4mm    f/2.6    1/17s    ISO 200

20121126_075925.jpg
GT-N7100    ---    4mm    f/2.6    1/17s    ISO 200

The only caveat is there are a lot of trial and error with exposure as the adaptor I'm using does not have any indication of what aperture.Hence a lot of second guessing aperture and using ISO to control flash density.

For those who want to learn and understand flashing better,try search for Zack Arias on youtube as his tutorials is very easy to follow and not full of technical stuff.His DVD is the best ever investment you could ever get.
Zack in action.:eek:
Zack Arias, Cheap Camera Challenge (Pro Tog, Cheap Cam) - YouTube

Latest threads

Top Bottom