Site downtime

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Sorry for the site downtime tonight, all. Our hosting company had a major problem with the "cloud" SSD service, affecting all sites which use that technology. As our luck would have it, we "upgraded" to that product just a couple days ago. They are assuring us that this won't happen again, but I need to look at other options as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No worries, I was tucked up in bed on this side of the pond so didn't notice :)

FYI - the Help/Disclosures links in your sig return 404.

• Like Like x 1
  3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Don't know if it's just me, but today the site is horrendously slow to load thread.
    Home page is fine, but on a thread it loads the title and then takes 30-60 seconds to load the rest of the page.
    These cloud SSD's seem to be not so good :(

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I've made arrangements to go to a new server with a regular SSD. Just waiting for provisioning, which shouldn't take long. We have a solid hosting company and a very capable server, so this should all be straightened out soon.

Also, I had to reboot the server twice this morning to implement some settings to stabilize things. You may have been active during those reboots, which would explain big delays.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well, it seems to be working fine now :)

6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Still broken for me, just hangs like this on clicking a thread, or when posting replies...
    Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 14.35.33 (2).

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Did that happen just now? Because a few minutes ago I had to restart the server again.

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It's happening now, I've switched to Tapatalk as the website is basically unusable for me.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    And now it's fine!

10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    And now it's not... So intermittent!

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Darn it. I don't know what is going on. Anyone else having this problem? José, can you please try clearing your browser cache to see if that does anything and also tell me what browser and version you are using?

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Is this still happening, José?

13. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No, I'm home now. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a problem with my work internet. But as an admin I know the only thing they block is Facebook. But then I know you changed some DNS stuff, so I wonder if the DNS cache we have at work hasn't refreshed yet, the timeout seemed consistent with a DNS lookup failure, but then you would think it would fail once and then the cache would be up to date - any why would it not affect the home page!

All very odd, I'll see how it goes over the weekend, and if on Monday back in the office it is an issue there again at least I know it is my side (and will then have to work out why!).

• Like Like x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Different subject: I don't seem to be getting notifications if someone "likes" something I posted. Am I suddenly unlikeable? :p

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Did you check your settings?

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I just did, and I have it set up to receive notifications. But three members have now "liked" my selfie post, and I have not received any notification about those. On the other hand, I did receive a notification that you just quoted me. :hmmm:

17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ooop. Seems to be fixed now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I'm noticing that both this site and mu-43 are both behaving very slowly currently.

19. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Reply with quote is taking me close to 30 seconds or so over on mu-43.

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Working on that right now.