1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Site changes due to GDPR - a work in progress

Discussion in 'Site Information' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    As some of you may be aware, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 becomes enforceable on 25 May 2018. GDPR is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy which aims to give all EU citizens and residents control over their personal data.

I am doing everything I can do to comply with GDPR. Unfortunately, I am just one person who owns and operates these sites as a hobby, and the GDPR is incredibly complicated and difficult to understand.

In some cases, this will mean a loss of site functionality. For example, I don't know of a way to make our push notifications via OneSignal compliant with the GDPR, and I don't have time to figure it out, so those push notifications will probably be removed from the site altogether.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with any site changes required due to GDPR.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Unfortunately I have to remove Pushbullet and Pushover as well.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    No problem, Amin, regulations are never written in a way anyone can really understand. Do what you need to do. I appreciate having the site at all. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Facebook and Twitter integration have been removed. That means that they cannot be used for login anymore. If you need help accessing your account, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Email is now being handled directly from our server rather than via Amazon SES.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Quite some changes, but nothing that really hurts me. Keep up the good work!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Site should now be exclusively showing non-personalized ads in Europe now.

8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just being honest, but the forced announcement of all that new legalese was an awful lot...I can't find where to designate / opt out of everything possible to minimize / eliminate the taking of my personal information, tracking information, etc...where can I 'opt out' of all that ?
    Thanks

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The main purpose of all of that was to satisfy the requirements of the GDPR, which does not pertain to you since you are not in the EU. I don't have a way to do the "forced announcement" only for people in the EU. Also, the privacy information was specifically written in plain English rather than in legalese.

For those in the United States, you can minimize cookies by going to user preferences and opting out of ad viewing. You can also eliminate all cookies via your browser settings. This will result in the least possible tracking, but you'll have to login to the site very often, and your site preferences (style/color, etc) won't stick.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Regardless, thanks for all your work

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thank you...I’ll look into it and decide

12. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    <<I don't have a way to do the "forced announcement" only for people in the EU.>>

Is that why we here in USA still had to click the box to accept that EU stuff regardless, in order to get back into the site?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, that is basically correct. There was, however, no "EU stuff" in there that takes away anyone's rights in America. The right to not read that stuff notwithstanding.

14. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Thanks for all your work Amin Sabet. Much appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    All ads besides MPB have now been removed for the EU.

16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So what are your thoughts as a site owner?

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I think the aims of the GDPR are good. The actual regulation is vague, interpreted differently in different parts of the EU, and that makes it hard to follow. It's also going to take a while for the advertising ecosystem to move away from the type of ads for which the GDPR requires opt in. Almost no one opts into seeing ads, so the industry will have to change.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Sorry for making everyone accept the Terms and Privacy Policy again.

There were no substantive changes since the last iteration, but the forum software changed how they record consent, and it was needed to comply with the GDPR.

I am trying to avoid mass emails, which are even more annoying IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I am in the process of disabling all email notifications related to this site. That means that no one will get emails for PMs, watched threads, last week's popular topics, etc. Once those changes have been made, I'll update this thread with instructions about how to opt back in to those emails if you wish to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    A great big Thank You, Amin, for all you do!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.