Sister sites

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Nov 24, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've noticed some of you also post on sister sites mu-43 and PhotographersLounge. Since I'm now an OM-D E-M5 owner as well as a NEX owner, I was looking for a place to hang out and talk m4/3. Talkemount has a nice congenial sense of community, and the mods do a good job of ensuring that. It appears to me PL is more eclectic, while mu-43 is obviously specific to m4/3 cameras. Anyone have an opinion which of the other two has a better sense of community? I prefer to hang out in places where people, if they disagree, do so without attacking another's intelligence or character. It is no fun trying to wade through those types of threads.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I post on FujiXspot and Photographer's Lounge and the are both congenial. I would rate TalkEmount as the best of the forums though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The only other one I am on is Photographer's Lounge.

Both are enjoyable. TalkEMount has a smaller, but growing crowd, whereas Photographer's Lounge is a bit more varied.

4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. I was thinking PL, as well. I have seen some of your posts over there, Dave, as well as a few other names I recognize from over here.

Tony

5. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Have you had a bad experience on mu-43? I never have. I haven't checked out the photographer's lounge. Looks like some very interesting posts as well.

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    No, I haven't. I was just wondering if folks here had any experience with them, and what their own opinions were.

Tony

7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    One thing I find interesting while viewing the Fuji Xmount forum is how small the "Adapter Lens" showcase is compared to here. It seems Fuji users are less interested in Legacy lenses, and it may be due to it's superior line of native lens options. Sony should take note.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Or it might mean that we Sony folk are more innovative and adventurous. :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That and using adapted lenses on Sony E Mounts is easy.

I don't know what it is like on other platforms, but the Sony with peaking is a breeze.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Indeed. My OM-D E-M5 doesn't have Sony-style focus peaking, although it does have live view magnification. One has to set it up to take a RAW + JPEG, and set the JPEG to a High Key output. Then focus until the borders in the live view are sharp. Shoot the pic, discard the JPEG, and use the RAW. I haven't tried it, but it seems clunky to me. I've also owned a couple of Pentax cameras, and even though they use Sony sensors, the Pentax implementation is a pale shadow of Sony's, in my opinion.

Tony

11. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  12. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Excellent José, thanks! I somehow missed or overlooked that in my own search.

Tony

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    That does work, José. You have to push a button to bring up the peaking while focusing, but it's fairly straightforward. The shallow DOF here is from being at minimum focus distance and f/5.6.

Tony

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1