1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Singapore Night GP

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by quezra, Sep 24, 2012.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Not sure where these would fit but here's a good place I thought. My wife and I got crappy seats way at the far rear end, but oh well, they were free tickets.

Using my 18-200LE:

The Marina Bay Sands rooftop deck:

Some warm races in the Porsche Carrera GP:

View of the Fullerton facing our stand:

Fernando Alonso (I have about a million of these because this was the only "good" angle of unobstructed track from where we were sitting. Won't bore you with the others...

Marina Bay Sands at night:

2. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    And for some more:

Just how sharp the LE is?:

The 50mm f1.8 gets some action and does pretty nice!

The moon at 200mm:

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nice! Saw the qualifying heats on TV... great event for Singapore to host.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very cool. I love races, but the only thing that gets any attention over here is Nascar which bores me.

I much prefer road races and rallies, but they are never on TV.

5. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks! Yeah it was a blast. It was a hazy day generally, and so everything looked a bit washed out until nightfall. This was my first live GP and I was not prepared for how loud it was (luckily we bought earplugs). It was a completely different experience to watching it on TV, and I might just have to do it again with proper seats!

I really love how well the 50/1.8 did, I was snapping at continuous shutter and just guessing from the sound of the cars when they'd come. The 50 did all the rest of the work because you blinked and they were gone, coming from a blind corner. The track was also exceptionally bright (apparently, brighter than stadium lights), so even a normal tele could compete with anything out there. Loved how well ISO1600 and 3200 shots came out just the same.

Also, tons of cool cameras and lenses on show, and amazing how many DSLRs were being carried by clearly casual users (e.g. so many with just kit lenses on). I swear mine was the only NEX I saw, but Nikons were the majority, followed by Canons. I did see a few PENs and OMDs too - loved the look of a 150mm on an OMD. Lots of powerzooms as well. Also saw a guy porting a gigantic lens on a monopod, never seen anything that big before!

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Tks for sharing these.
    I'm debating on whether or not I want to go to the US Grand Prix...

7. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Well those are about the "worst" pictures you could get, it was at night from almost the back corner

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Eh, I hit send by accident. Anyway I would totally recommend it and I'm not the biggest F1 fan. Look at the track layouts to pick a decent seat and after about lap 20 get up and walk around. I did envy the people with their 200mm f2.8 lenses though!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

9. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Yes,
    I don't expect to get any decent race pictures so perhaps the other attractions are what I'll focus on.....

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Man, these are really nice. The more pics I see of Singapore the more I want to go there.

11. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I've been several times (just 2 or 1 day overnighters). Very clean, feels very safe even late at night. Very strict too, which is probably why... (I think you could go to jail for spitting on the sidewalk, I'm not sure if capital punishment is still enforced for drug possession/trafficking). It's a very small place with a lot of people, so I've had to learn to think up and down floors too, rather than just up and down the streets, when looking for restaurants or stores (or car parks for that matter). Commercial and residential areas look more or less the same - high rise buildings.

A very progressive place that's for sure, beautiful place to visit... food is everywhere and awesome, dining out could be cheaper than cooking at home! :)

12. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I wonder if you sat close enough to the track, the high pitched vibrations might be strong enough to clean your NEX sensor? :D

13. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    I went to an IndyCar practice a few years back - yes ear protection is a must...:)

14. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Haha we got spoilt by the Carrera race and were all like "they must mean you only need earplugs if you're in the front row." Boy were we wrong :D