Simple Test Tweaking of a JPEG in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by roundball, Feb 20, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Decided to reinstall Lightroom 5.7 and run a simple test tweaking to see if I could make a JPEG any sharper and reduce some ISO200 noise.
    Pine Warbler shot with Canon FDn 400/4.5, NEX-7, ISO200 at 40 feet then cropped way up.
    Touched it up with "Clarity, Sharpening, and Noise Reduction" controls in Lightroom.
    BEFORE LIGHTROOM

AFTER LIGHTROOM

• Like Like x 2
  2. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    The feathers definitely has more detail from upping the clarity and noise is also more controlled...good job!

Did I start something....? ;)

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Kind of like the age old arguement of "Protecive Filter or Not"..."Ford or Chevy"...LOL.

I just wanted to revisit it since my disappointment in learning that its primary purpose in life was to process RAW images. Those tweaks that I did above are the typical extent of so-called 'post processing' that I do.

While I don't like having to upload to my Photobucket account just to do those couple things, I ultimately have to get them into Photobucket anyway.....and those same tools in whatever Photobucket makes available to me are fast, simple to use.
    Another plus about Photobucket is that it presents me with a much larger image on my laptop screen than LR...LR just has way too much unnecessary clutter (for me) all around the laptop screen taking up valuable image space.
    So those attributes make PB an easier choice for me with where I'm at in photography.

The biggest single benefit that LR offers me in tweaking JPEGs right now is that 'noise reduction' feature...so worst case, if I'm forced to use a high ISO for something that generates too much noise, I'll know I can go into LR and possibly smooth it out as Photobucket doesn't have that control, or at least I haven't seen it if it does.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    FWIW, it is possible to close all those windows at the top, bottom, and sides of Lightroom and enlarge the image to fill your screen. It does create the need for a couple of extra steps when changing tools, but it is a viable option.

- Tom -

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    BTW, in regard to all of the discussion elsewhere about RAW versus JPEG, my personal viewpoint is "It Depends".

In recent years I have always shot RAW + JPEG. With many images, the out-of-camera JPEG is more than acceptable for my purposes, and I need go no further. When I DO want to massage the image in post-production, the RAW file provides extra space to do so without creating artifacts or other issues. To use an old cliche, "I can have my cake and eat it too".

- Tom -

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1