• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Simple switch / simple question

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Guys... while using the 135 GM - a fabulous piece of glass - I shot a flower after changing the switch of the minimal.
I tried to learn about this switch on the web but found nothing with detailed description.
Can you please, give me a link on this subject, please ?
Thank you !

i-53NRssq-M.png
   ---            

michelb

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Michel Brien
47362460M.jpg
   ---            

From the instructions. Look at section D, E or F depending on which switch you are asking about

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thank you Michel !
Meanwhile...
"...A nice added feature to the Sony GM 135mm F/1.8 is the focus range limiter switch which restricts the range of distance your lens can focus. I use this feature myself when I photograph dog agility shows to ensure the lens doesn’t focus on any obstacles near me but remains locked on a running dog that is far away.

Alongside this, the lens also has customizable focus hold buttons on the side and top which let you control focus via buttons on the lens rather than just the camera. Extremely useful in low light situations where lenses tend to naturally ‘hunt’ for focus..."

Source - https://digital-photography-school.com/sony-fe-135mm-f-1-8-gm-lens-review/

And Michel, too few lines about this switch. I want more information, more details ! Thank you anyway.
In fact Michel, the sheet of paper is in the box !

michelb

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Michel Brien
Which switch are you talking about or is it the button ?

The AF/MF switch should be a no brainer
The focus limiter you seem to have mastered
The round button is programmable in some bodies only and can be programmed to lock focus and other features that will depend on the body. Note that not all bodies offer this capability
The Click switch on the other side of the lens is to silence the aperture click stops

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Which switch are you talking about or is it the button ?

Perhaps it really is a button and not a switch, I am sorry... But under this context it is no doubt that I am trying to talk about "whatever" changing the distance and regarding at the image...

OK I understand it's just me, a non native English speaker messing up ! Sorry ! :)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
"...The outside of the lens features a number of controls beyond the linear manual focus ring and physical aperture ring including a focus range limiter switch (Full, 0.7–2 meters, 1.5 meters–infinity), an AF/MF focus mode switch, an aperture de-click switch, and two focus hold buttons (top, left)..."

Source

Focus range limiter switch ! That's it ! :)

michelb

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Michel Brien
Well lets try an explanation:

- When set at Full, it will allow focus and potentially focus hunting from 0,7m to ∞ (infinity)
- When set at 0,7-2m, it will only focus between these 2 distances.
- When set at 1.5-∞, it will only allow focus between these 2 distances

All of this to allow faster focusing (and minimize focus hunting in low light, low contrast situations), and allow you to customize depending on the shooting conditions you are working on.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well lets try an explanation:

- When set at Full, it will allow focus and potentially focus hunting from 0,7m to ∞ (infinity)
- When set at 0,7-2m, it will only focus between these 2 distances.
- When set at 1.5-∞, it will only allow focus between these 2 distances

All of this to allow faster focusing (and minimize focus hunting in low light, low contrast situations), and allow you to customize depending on the shooting conditions you are working on.

Great Michel ! Great !

Thank you very much for this small and simple explanation.
After all, it is what I have been thinking it would be all about. Interesting feature !

All this because my wife went outside to shoot a flower using the widest range of focusing and she was complaining not to get in focus. I talked to her about this feature and there she was with a perfect focused photograph.

Tomorrow I will do some shots in the garden and post in this thread.

Take care. Cheers ! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom