1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Silver Effex guru needed

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by nianys, Feb 9, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    This is a question for Kevin, and other Silver Effex Pro masters.
    I've never used this software. If I understand well it's a PS plug-in by Nik, right ? (wrong ?). Meaning I need a recent version of PS to run it ?
    Is it easy to use, does it have a toggle with/without effects function like PS does ??

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Its a Nik plug in, but you don't need Photo Shop to run it. It has separate versions for Aperture and Lightroom which work directly off of those programs. And there is a Photo Shop version that gives you some additional functions, like brushes and the ability to work in PS layers. I do most of my processing in either Silver Efex Pro for B&W or Color Efex Pro and Viveza for color and I've never used PS in my life. So you can do plenty without PS if you're already using LR or Aperture as your primary processer, cataloging program, and editor. If you do use PS, though, it gives you a couple of additional tools if you get that version.

-Ray

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's an application that you can trigger from within PS, LR or Aperture. So when I'm working in LR I can right-click on an image and edit in Silver Efex Pro. In Photoshop you access under the AUTOMATE menu under FILE. It's called NIK SELECTIVE TOOl and brings up a floating palette that you can have up when looking at an image. Click SILVER EFEX PRO on that palette and it opens the image in Silver Efex Pro. When you save an image it closes the plug-in window and returns you back to the originating application (Photoshop, LR, Aperture etc.)

The attached image is the UI for Silver Efex Pro. On the left are the presets. I find them a good place to start but I typically do whatever adjustments I need on the right where there are a lot of fine grain options to choose. According to Nik software the system requirements are...

• Mac OS 10.5.8 through 10.8
    • Intel processor
    • 2 GB RAM (4 GB or more Recommended)
    • Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 through CS6
    • Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 through 11
    • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® 2.6 through 4
    • Apple® Aperture® 2.1.4 through 3.0 or later
    • 32-bit and 64-bit compatible
    • Video card supporting Open GL recommended

4. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I use Silver Efex Pro 1 and also Dfine2.0 as a plugin in Photoshop Elements 11 and as as separate external editor in ACDSee Pro 6 which is my LR...

I was lucky to get a copy of SEP1 as a free gift with a CD in a german photo magazine.

I really love the Nik Software stuff and want to have Viveza and Color Efex too, but they're too expensive right now...

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I use it with Aperture.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I forgot to mention, I use it with Lightroom...can't remember when I last used it with Photoshop

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Foto Hits? They have quite good software from time to time.

As for me, I use Nik plugins in Aperture and never had a problem with them.

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks all, does it have a toggle on/off effect function ? PS is that only program that I've found with an effective "preview" toggle function. I guess that's why I'm still using PS and nothing else.

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It has split screen and side by side preview so you can see before and after. It does the conversion to BW first so you can't see the color image once you're in Silver Efex Pro. Something I like when sing LR is when I open it in Silver Efex Pro LR asks if I want to open a copy, a copy with LR adjustments or the original. I don't believe you get that same option with Photoshop but don't know for certain (perhaps someone here can verify that).

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    You mean à la Lightroom ? One window shows you the original and the other the edited pic with all the tweaks you've done ? That's not what I want, I want the ability of PS to have a single window but a little Preview check box that shows before/after effects when you check/uncheck it...

11. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    Silver Efex sort of has that -- there are five or so adjustment panels, each of which has a checkbox that can turn previewing that adjustment on or off, so you could uncheck all five and see the entire "before" view. It also has my favorite feature of most Nik plugins, and that's "selective adjustments" -- you can add multiple variable-sized control points to the image, and tweak the effect settings for that area, much like the adjustment brush in Lightroom.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks Chuck, I guess thats good for me then. I'll get photoshop and the Effex plug in as soon as my laptop comes from repair.

13. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I use it with photoshop 7 and lightroom. In photoshop you can export, do the adjustment and import it back. If you don't like it, you can undo the change and redo all.. Also you can do the same export import with same image to have multiple filter looks...

Photoshop uses jpeg to adjust. Lightroom converts raw to tiff. It is better but I prefer to use jpeg, since it is less processing load for computer...

14. Chuck Lawson

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    When using a plugin like Silver Efex in Photoshop, the result will usually come back on a duplicate layer (or you can start from a duplicate layer. or use smart objects), which gives you a lot of other options in masking/blending the plug-in results back with the original image to get the effect you are looking for.

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Now THAT's brilliant. Not much need for fine preview then, just lay it on thick and fine tune later playing with layer opacity ! Luv it.

16. Chuck Lawson

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    Yep. Also handy for doing spot color effects, undersaturation, etc...