1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

silly me

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bimjo, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You may have noticed that I posted up a couple of pics of a few of my adapted lenses yesterday. Obviously I needed to use a camera other than the 5N so I dragged the Pentax K20/Tamron 28-75/2.8 out of the bag.

First off- damn this thing is huge. And heavy! Felt good in my hand though. Then I put it on the tripod to get ready to shoot. Turn camera on, look at LCD… no image. Ah! Forgot to remove the lens cap. Ok, now were ready… still no image on the LCD.

Hmmm… what could it be? Oh, yeah, I never turned Live View on. Ever. Because it never made sense to me with a camera this heavy and a fixed LCD. Ok, we have to use the viewfinder. Man, that's a nice viewfinder! Bright, sharp, uncluttered. I like it. I like the EVF on the 5N better for most stuff though, especially for manual focus, which I hated on the K20. To the point that I almost never did it. Which I guess was ok because… did I mention how fast this thing can auto-focus? It's quick. Really quick. But it's noisy too. Oh well, can't have everything.

Alright, ready to shoot. Move the focus point. No dummy, you can't touch the non-functioning LCD to set the focus point. Concentrate! Alright, alright, shutup! Man this is painful.

Shots taken, transferred to the computer. Man that Tamron takes a nice pic. But why is there stuff at the edges of the pic I didn't see in the viewfinder? Oh yeah, viewfinder isn't true to what the camera actually captures. I'd forgotten that.

Processed pics to taste, posted on the web. Put the K20 away. Picked the 5N up off the table and damn near threw it into the air it's so light. Jeez Louise! Reminder to self: Never, ever take both the K20 and the 5N on a shoot at the same time. One or the other will end up someplace I don't want them. Like the bottom of a lake or something.

All kidding aside, I'm still debating on whether or not I'm keeping the K20. It's been out of the bag like 4 or 5 times in the last year, mostly for stuff like yesterday- taking pics of the 5N. It's a trusted old friend, we've been together for nearly 5 years. But there's a reason I bought the 5N and I'm reminded of it every time I pick the K20 up. That thing is huge! Did I mention that it's heavy?

Decisions, decisions. [sigh]

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I have a lovely D90 I've taken thousands of frames with. Ever since I went mirrorless it came out *once*. That was about 8 months ago, never saw the light of day since. It's safely packed in its big and heavy DSLR backpack, and sleeping soundly in a closet. Even if I wanted AF I might rather grab a used GX-1 and AF zoom...

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My old Canon T2i went unused for many a month. I now fire it up for certain things, like deep-field hand-held interiors shots (where I employ Image Stabilization for all it's worth) and the occasional snapshot where I'm feeling too lazy to change lenses, set exposure and focus. (The lack of deliberation usually sticks out like a sore thumb and it's not a good thing...)

I'm not sure these applications are really enough to justify keeping it. ;)

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Haha... I love your detailed and descriptive sense of humour, Bimjo!!

Funny as it is, these are the bare realities that could very well spell the demise of the beloved SLR...

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, you'd love my motorcycling stories then. :)

You may be right about the dslr mostly going the way of the dodo. I don't think they'll go away altogether, rangefinder cams are still quite popular, just not mainstream. But mirrorless bodies with many of the features of a dslr will become the norm. And sooner than many people think.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I totall second that. Sooner.

7. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I shoot auto racing a few times a year, so my D200 still gets some use solely based on AF speed and my 18-200 zoom. But other than that, it lives a rather lonely existence. Kind of sad, really, as the camera has been with me for some great trips including Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Southern California, all over New England, and Ireland. Not to mention the nearly 7 years I've owned it. I think that is the main reason I'll never get rid of it, it's still highly sentimental for me. But I know what you mean...it's a shock to take it out and use it again (forget live view...D200 doesn't even have that!).

I appreciate that mirrorless cameras are catching up to dSLR's, but my only fear is that full frame sensors will be the only difference between a SLR and a mirrorless...and I am desperate for a full frame mirrorless (just not in the Leica scale of affordability).