Showcase Sigma Zoom-Master 35-70mm F/2.8-4 Lens For Minolta MD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by TonyTurley, Jun 2, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Just out of boredom, I was trolling eBay and looking at various lenses, and decided to search for "MD 35-70mm". Included in the results that popped up was a Sigma Zoom-Master 35-70mm F/2.8-4 Lens For Minolta MD mount, $27 shipped. A quick bit of research showed a couple of different versions of the lens. This auction was for the version labeled 1:6.7 MACRO. The pics showed a lens that was clean and well maintained, and the seller feedback was 100%, so I decided to pop the BIN button. It is a FL range I currently don't have, so we'll see how good it is in a few days. I enjoy playing with different lenses on my Nex, but it is a bit of a pain deciding which lens(es) to carry with me. I haven't settled on a favorite lens yet. However, for the price of some of the old legacy lenses, it doen't break the bank to experiment. Some day I intend to splurge for a Tamron 70-210, or something similar. Some day.

Tony

2. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The lens finally arrived today. It is indeed clean and well maintained. I walked around our yard snapping some things that seemed interesting, trying to avoid my usual flower shots. You can tell by the photo of the "Welcome" sign I forgot to change the WB from "Tungsten" in that photo. The bumblebee is a 33% crop.

All in all, the photo quality is decent, even very good in a couple. I pronounce it perfectly acceptable as a knock-about lens. They seem to go for about $15-20 on eBay if anyone else wants to try one.

Tony

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Perfectly acceptable I'd say. ;)

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks pretty good.

I personally don't like push/pull lenses though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TalkNEX mobile app

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Yeah, the push-pull is a bit odd. This is the first one I've had. It is also a bit counter-intuitive that fully retracted is 70mm and fully extended is 35mm.

Tony

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice!!!

Just like most Minolta MD Zooms I have :D
    I've always found that very odd...

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I have a Sigma that does that reverse retraction thing. Kind of odd, but it works.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TalkNEX mobile app

8. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Nice thread, I've just started using an old Sigma 35-70 f3.8 on my NEX6 ... still getting used to the lens. It seems that it's a bit soft on f3.8 but seems to get a whole lot sharper when closed by 2 stops. How did you find the clarity of your lens tony?

9. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Seems pretty decent for the money, i paid a fair bit more than that for the Minolta 35-70 macro.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The clarity is pretty good for a budget lens. I'm not a pixel peeper, and haven't found any reason to complain about the photo quality. I have it on eBay right now simply because I don't use it much. LBA does that to you. :)

Tony