1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma to develop FE lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by bargainguy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Sony full-frame fans rejoice - Sigma president says company is going to support FE-mount!

I'm a huge fan of Sigma. Their 30/1.4 crop sensor lens is one of my favorites. It's nice to see they will eventually produce lenses in FE mount.

They also have an interesting motto, something along the lines of "small office, big factory." Unlike some other manufacturers, they produce as much as they can in-house to save costs. They use their own cameras (Merrill, Quattro, etc.) as measurement tools for their lenses. IMHO, they're the first independent lens manufacturer to give the big boys a real run for their money.

• Like Like x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    This is great news! If they make an affordable option for a fast 35mm (vs the expensive FE Zeiss 35 1.4 and the slow FE Zeiss 35 2.8) I'm sold. Basically an Art series 35 1.4 for e-mount without the need for their mc-11 adapter.
    A cheap 24-70 2.8 would be great too but I don't see that happening any time soon :D

3. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Me too a fan of their Art prime lenses. Really interested of their new 85mm Art and can't wait to read reviews.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Great news! Where's the webpage to enter requests? I have a few... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's basically the cheap but very capable Sigma trio (19/30/60mm) and my legacy glass that made me stick with Sony bodies. I wish I could say the same about Sony glass but after all the issues I've had alone with decentered lenses I can't. What I don't get is why Sigma (or Tamron) never offered an e-mount version of some of their APS-C bestsellers, especially their fast 17-50/f2.8 standard zooms. They're a bit on the large side, but some of the best performing glass in that range for any mount. I've used a 17-50 Tammy on my first NEX-5 via Nikon-G adapter, but that was before Sony came up with focus peaking and EVFs and despite the great optical performance it wasn't much fun to shoot that way, especially stuff that moves. Anyway, even though I have way more stuff than I really need, I always missed a fast standard zoom for my NEXes and if they ever produced an e-mount version of these lenses I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here but for ff :) Would love an affordable (but not crap) 2.8 24-70 - probably not going to happen I know :)

7. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

The Canon 24-70mm/f2.8 L looks like a great option for FF but it might not fit your idea of affordable (or mine of portable).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    TBH my love affair with Sigma is in need of therapy... the 30/2.8 is supersharp but I am using it less and less now, the startup time is killing me, and the colors are not as predictable and reliable as with Sony glass (not a problem with landscapes, but very noticeable in skin tones). I sold 19/2.8 just because I didn't find it to be all that exciting and I can get a decent if not great 19mm from almost any zoom. While it's sharper in the corners than SEL20, I think 20 would make a better choice for a general walkabout prime has it not been so much more expensive. Again, startup time, colors, and size.

What I would like to see from them is a 16mm lens, and a 24mm. Along the lines of 19/30/60. These IMHO are far more useful focal lengths and I would be willing to live with startup time and an occasional color issues if I could get a reasonably priced, portable, sharp 24mm prime from them.

Now 17-50/2.8... three years ago, I would kill to get it in E mount. It was my main lens on Canon. Now, I am not so sure anymore. I slowly grew to appreciate portability over extra IQ - that's why I've been using 1650 so much lately. The 17-50/2.8 is about the length of 18-105G but heavier and thicker. I don't think I would carry it with me all the time. I don't use 18-105 as much either, but at least when I do it gives me the wide range and stabilization and is great for video. The 17-50 would just be a better version of 18-55 - which is already sharp - a bit better in low light, but as large as 18105.. not sure I'd want to spend the $700 or so and then be leaving it at home when going out for a walk. And honestly, f2.8 is still slow... the real advantage is added sharpness at f4, but I think Sigma can pull it off in a f4 lens.

What I would love for Sigma to do is a reasonably compact 16-50/4 OS... smaller and cheaper than Zony 16-70/4 and likely sharper (there's so little difference between 50 and 70mm, I'd rather have a smaller lens). Now that could be a killer !

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    That time when there was only the 55mm and the 35mm for native lenses seems so distant, now - hard to believe it was only 3 years. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Malky

Malky New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2016
    Come on Sigma give us something around FE70-300mm FE100-400mm ok i can dream

11. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    150-600
    24-105 f4 art

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    • 300/2.8 (ok that one is just dreaming)
    • 150-600 would be brilliant and might be realistic
    • Anything from their 'art' range would be great too

13. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    So does this mean sigma is abandoning the aps-c wagon too? A shame release of aps-c lenses has come to a halt since there is plenty of room for improvements and new focallenghts. Im pretty sure a move into fullframe would send me back into the nikon camp which become more and more likely if the A6x00 series maintenance re lens line etc. is not restarted..