Sigma FP Announced (full frame, smaller than A7)

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
Guys, guys! Look!

LINK: https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-fp-press-release

This is what I've wanted for years! I like my A7ii but it's not portable so I've found myself going back to my Micro Four Thirds Panasonic GM1. But that camera only gets me good background separation with longer lenses. I think I see this Sigma replacing my A7ii which I hardly use. I might use it more if I could find a bag that would fit bough the A7ii and GM1 snugly with soft material in the sides without being too tight!)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Honestly, I actually thought the opposite; that this release was a good example of why Sony never attempted the NEX philosophy on its full frame E-mount bodies. Aside from the f/2.8 primes (and I don't own any), I wouldn't actually want to use that body with any of my lenses. It doesn't even have the meager NEX-style grip, which when it debuted on the original A7 was criticized for being much to small (I agree, I had to add a half-case to the A7 to make it usable).

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
As someone who has made the Nex-7 > A7ii > A7iii trek, I can say the ergonomics of the cameras has only gotten better.
If I want 'pocketability' I'll either get bigger pockets that will accommodate the A7's or use one of my Canon SD1000's instead.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
It looks interesting. We will have to see how it actually pans out (no pun intended). It has some weaknesses - 49 AF points? Meh. Lots of high-level specs but nothing that really tells you how well it will perform. And honestly, I am always a little skeptical of press releases that cite things like "color grading ... just like Hollywood". OK, whatever. We will see how well it delivers.

No EVF is a big negative in my book. It will take a lot to get me past that.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Note that with only an electronic shutter the flash sync speed is limited to only 1/30 sec. That might not be an issue for you.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
This offering is geared towards the video community, not so much as a still camera. It's modular.
If Sigma should release a stills camera in L-mount, hope it's a refined and high dynamic range version of their Foveon sensor.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
This offering is geared towards the video community, not so much as a still camera. It's modular.
If Sigma should release a stills camera in L-mount, hope it's a refined and high dynamic range version of their Foveon sensor.
Yeah, if they had just said they were releasing a digital back for video-centric purposes, I don't think it would have been a problem. But they launch it as the "world's smallest FF Camera" or whatever and invite ridicule (and also surprising numbers of defenders on DPR who think it would make a perfectly usable stills camera). It reminds me of when there was a race to release smaller and smaller mobile phones till they were virtually unusable... tiny number pads and mic-speaker distance usable only to a monkey. I mean, ok you might win the small prize but...

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
No EVF, No mechanical shutter, hot shoe only via an accessory...
NOT a real stills camera IMO.
Perhaps a reasonable video body, but that's irrelevant to me. I've probably shot more video accidentally from a single finger video/stills switch than I have deliberately.

FWIW with the lens currently mounted my A7ii is actually pocketable, probably far more than this would be with a L mount lens fitted!

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans
When I need to find it in a hurry, the video button on the allegedly 'video-centric' A7s always runs away and hides.

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
"color grading ... just like Hollywood". OK, whatever.
from my reading only BlackMagic could make a claim so bold. Certainly interesting to see what it does to the competition.

BlackMagic with a big ole fat full frame sensor would be amazing imho. . . powering it? not so much.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I like the idea of a modular "system" camera, but I'm not sure it's that great in practice. And there's literally no grip on that thing. I suppose you'll be able to buy one, but right now it looks like an oversized GoPro.

Reactions: WNG

Latest posts

Top Bottom