1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 60mm issues?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Justachillin2, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Justachillin2

Justachillin2 New to TalkEmount

Nov 28, 2013
    I just received my 60mm sigma lens from gear shop and when I turn the lens around it sounds like something is loose inside. Is this normal or should I return it. All my sony lenses don't do this so I am a little concerned. Thanks in advance.

2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    This is probably normal for all Sigma lenses. It's something to do with the focus motor not being powered up. It won't do that when mounted on the camera and when the camera is on. My 30mm Sigma does this. It's well documented

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's normal. I had read about the issue before I purchased my 60mm, and yes, mine does it too. I think there may be some loose elements in the focussing mechanism. But I've never gotten anything but super sharp images from the lens. Unless, of course, I screw up the photo myself. :p

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup, they all do that.

No idea why, would love to know why.

5. Justachillin2

Justachillin2 New to TalkEmount

Nov 28, 2013
    Thanks guys!

6. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Yeah, very normal. Bit disconcerting when you hear it the first time though. After a while you don't even notice it. Enjoy the lens, I love mine!

7. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Deja vu. :)

Dont worry be happy. Is normal with the Sigma DN lenses.

8. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    It because the focusing element uses powered magnets to align the lens, very fancy tech and that is why it is so fast to focus. Very odd sounding though, On first use mine made a terrible noise trying to focus, something got out of alignment during shipping, but it recovered and has had many hundreds of hours of good service for me. Ps I have the art line 30mm lens too and it is the same

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

9. Diamond

Diamond TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 7, 2013
    How is this lens on battery life?

I assume if it uses electromagnets to focus it must use more battery power?

Is this lens faster or slower to focus then the standard non-power zoom 18mm to 55mm kit lens?

10. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Another question on the subject of this lens. Is it true none of the Sigma's can use Sony's super fast hybrid AF? Such as on the a6000?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TalkEmount mobile app

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not sure. I don't know 100% which lenses would take advantage of this faster focusing and which would not.

It would be good to get a list going.

12. Diamond

Nov 7, 2013
    Oh well I bit the bullet and ordered one of these today, should be with me either tomorrow or Monday, hopefully tomorrow :)

with regards to the Aperture is it true that if you use a full frame lens then the true aperture on a cropped framed sensor is less?

Until now I've been using as my go to portrait lens an old Manual Focus Mintola lens (50mm F2.0) with an adaptor - so does this mean the actual Aperture on my Sony NEX 5N is really closer to F3.0 ?

Apart from autofocus, what other benefits (or losses) am I likely to see using the Sigma 60mm over the Minolta?

13. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    It is razor sharp, even at f2.8. It's super light weight too. Ace lens.

Sent from my E2001 using TalkEmount mobile app

14. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    See http://admiringlight.com/blog/full-frame-equivalence-and-why-it-doesnt-matter/

In short: yes, using a 50mm F2.0 film lens adapted to an APC-S camera results in an image with the same Field of View and Depth of Field as one taken from the exact same spot with a FF camera using a 75mm lens at around f/3. But to get that exposure, the two cameras will use either a different shutter speed or a different ISO, since the light gathering from the different apertures does make a difference.

Do you use a FF or film camera? If not, it probably doesn't matter to you. It only matters what you shoot with - Everything is then relative to your set up, and you don't need to care.

15. Diamond

Nov 7, 2013
    My Sigma 60mm f2.8 arrived and quite pleased with the photos, sometimes I wish there was a shallower depth of field to it, but compared to the standard Sony Kit lens at 55mm the photos have a lot more warmth to them.

Focusing feels fast and pictures look sharp to me, even when photographed in JPEG only mode. Example below.

KhOaBSk.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I been shopping the 60mm Sigma and 50mm SEL.

I am leaning towards the 50mm for the extra F stops but would be happy with either

Attached Files:

17. Diamond

Nov 7, 2013
    if the Sony 50mm and Sigma 60mm were the same price I think I'd go for the Sony for that extra stop of light, shallower depth of field and optical image stabilisation.
    But this was my first e-mount lens purchase so I was being cautious and going with the cheaper Sigma. I now have a total of 8 lenses I can use with my NEX 5N, but I get the feeling the Sigma 60mm will be the lens I use the most from now on.

My Sony NEX 5N came with the standard 18mm to 55m lens and the so called Pancake 16mm lens which isn't all that small. I have to say I'm not impressed with the Sony 16mm lens at all. The only real advantage it offers over the standard lens is it makes the camera more pocket-able when going to parties, etc.

With the Sigma I've found it to be really sharp and I've managed to take 16MP shots and get some great crops from it.
    The only real issue I have with the lens is it's very slippery - not the focus dial but when it comes to changing lenses you have almost nothing to grip on to.