1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sigma 60mm f:2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by -et-, Apr 29, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Today I attended a camera show at which Sigma was present with a large selection of their lenses. Among the lenses they brought with them was the new 60mm f:2.8 lens for the NEX, which Sigma allowed me to put on my NEX-6 for a few shots.

Here are a couple of those images, along with pixel-peeped 100% crops of the images. Absolutely no pretense of art in either of these shots, as they were taken inside the exhibit hall standing in front of the Sigma stand.

The first image was shot at f:4.0, ISO 1600, and a shutter speed of 1/100th of a second.

Sigma 60mm - 1. Sigma 60mm - 1A.

The second image was shot at f:2.8, ISO 1250, and a shutter speed of 1/100th of a second.

The effect of the f:2.8 aperture on the depth of field is rather obvious when one pixel-peeps.

Sigma 60mm - 3.

Sigma 60mm - 3a.

- Tom -

2. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Not bad indeed. I see some CA and the overhead lamps messed up the colors (hard to tell if the lens coatings are doing this—Sigma always adds a warm color cast), but acuity and contrast look great. Thanks for the sneak peek! :)

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    TFS!

I would sure like to put this bad boy up against my Leica 60/2.8 macro lens. The Leica is of course good for product close-ups, but in one outdoor trial it also seemed frighteningly, insanely sharp at infinity.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It may be unfair to compare a lens costing used 700 USD to one costing 240 USD new ... .

I am hoping that sigma would make their 60 mm macro for E-mount also. This non-macro is tempting but macro one would be really interesting.

I have Minolta 50mm/3.5 macro on the way. If it is good enough (a fungus lens but I think that I can clean it) I will probably get that non macro one for children portraits.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It might seem like an unfair duel but IME the Sigma 30mm can get pretty scary sharp. So I wouldn't be entirely surprised if their 60mm also does this trick well. (Also, the Leica lens is about 40 years old...)

A telephoto that can render every branch on every tree on a ridge 12 miles away, that might be a fun thing to have in a light, compact package with AF support. :)

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You forgot 'with price tag of 240 USD'. In reality such a lens can't exist, diffraction, air movement and air density differences etc. make it quite impossible.

Yes, I think that Sigma 60 mm may be very good. Their 60mm macro is very good.

I think that Sigma is taking modern manufacturing techniques to the ultimate level. I bet that their molded aspherical lenses are pretty cheap to produce and they have been able to multicoat very economically too. Same for lens bodies too.

I am pretty hesitant putting much money into autofocus lenses as I think that they are not going to last more than 5-10 years with careful handling so Sigma lenses are pretty interesting to me.

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I think the lens to watch for is not the Zeiss 60 but SEL50F18. Similar FL, sharp, more than a stop faster, stabilized, with great bokeh, all for $60 or so more.

If Sigma 60/2.8 has something on Sony 50 1/8 OSS, I surely want to know what it is. Not being sarcastic, either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  9. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I agree. Although I prefer 60mm for portraits, SEL50F18 has much more going on with faster 1.3 stops and OSS with a little price difference. I don't know why Sigma didn't issue this time DP3 macro lens for nex...

10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Looks like m43 was the primary market and the E-mount added just because they could.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I don't think so. They are competing there with Oly 45mm 1.8, 60mm 2.8 macro and Panasonic 45mm 2.8 macro lenses. You can buy Oly 45mm for $100 more and again you gain 1.3 stops and the 45mm lens size is small, eg jean pocketable. Usually the 19/30mm lenses are used with dp series (1.5 crop) cameras, didn't make sense for m43(2x). This time DP3 lens is not marketed for nex/m43.

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    i-FDV9mjr-XL.

Not exactly an award-winning picture, but it illustrates how the Sigma 60/2.8 renders a tremendous amount of detail. See here for a full-size jpeg.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's pretty impressive corner performance.

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not a flower pic

i-DNXNzZn-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I did get to try the 50 eventually. I'll stick with the Sigma!

16. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Different tools. The biggest advantage of 50 is the combination of 1.8 aperture and OSS, which makes it very useful in low light on still subjects. I was able to get useful photos of people accross very poorly lit school gym at 100% crop - noisy but not OOF. The 60 is more of a general purpose lens.

18. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I bought the 60 because I was so impressed with the cute little 19 and 30. I think they make a very useful addition to the kit bag, and the 60 is still fantastic value for money. It's very different from the 50 1.8 in character, so it's not duplication to have both.

19. lordkifar

lordkifar TalkEmount Regular

May 8, 2013
    I bought the 60 after reading this thread ...but will take 4-5 weeks to come to suppliers in canada :-(

20. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Picture with 60 mm 2.8 Sigma only crop, no further operation. F/5.6, Iso 100

<a href="http://s986.photobucket.com/user/Zwarte/media/crop2_zps8a76fc49.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1