Sigma 60 in UK

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Rich, May 17, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Perhaps this is old news, but I had a call from my local branch of London Camera Exchange today to tell me that the 60 is now in stock and available in the UK at a price of £189.00, which would seem to be very good value. :)

They have arranged for the Sigma rep to drop one into branch next Tuesday for me to try. I've waited a long time for this lens, and I have high hopes for it. Lets hope it lives up to expectation!

Rich.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That makes it 222 euros. Your VAT rate is 20% and ours 23% so the corrected price would be 256 euros, sel50f18 sells for 299 euros. I will wait for comparisons.

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    LCE Salisbury has some 50 1.8's in stock, so I'll probably try one of those aswell. They are very good to me and let me take anything out around town to try. Maybe I'll put Sigma on the 5N and a Sony 50 on the 6 so that I can do direct comparisons. Should be interesting.

4. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Pretty good results. 169 euros is quite cheap, I think.

6. Frank Teurlings

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    For the Sigma a nice quality price ratio. Also, I am on the wait of the Zeiss test yields a 32 mm f 1.8 Touit another focal length but also super good.

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks Frank, that's a low price and it's offered by my favourite camera store! I've ordered the silver one right away, the black version is out of stock. I'll find out soon enough if it's any good and if not, I'll simply return it. Will report later here about my findings, I expect it to arrive next Wednesday.

My photography is changing a little bit these days, I'm more looking for details from landscape or cityscape instead of overall pictures. So an AF medium telephoto with macro option comes right on time to supplement the Sony 10-18mm and Sigma 30/2.8.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Here in Finland price seems to be around 200 euros (195-200).

9. Frank Teurlings

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Hi Ad, My nature of shooting as well. Am waiting for the black version. Like to see you findings.

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Unfortunately the demo lens hadn't reached LCE Salisbury today, so I didn't get the chance to try it. Bummer! :(

Hopefully, It will arrive over the next few days.

11. Frank Teurlings

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Too bad, am also very curious about user experiences

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Received the Sigma 60/2.8 this evening. I didn't have much time to test it, but managed some shots of my bookcase. Tomorrow I'll be able to test it outside on more demanding subjects, like trees against the sky.

First impressions on the NEX-6:
    • Sharp into the corners right from f/2.8, improving only a little bit on stopping down. Most noticeable is a slight improvement in contrast in the corners, whereby the image gets more punch. Couldn't see any signs of decentering. Are you listening Sony?! This is my third Sigma E-mount lens in a row without any problem. All-in-all it looks impressive so far.
    • Clearly visible pincushion distortion, in LR a Distortion setting of -3 corrected for it, although some higher-order distortion seems faintly noticeable. There's no profile yet for this lens in LR4.4.
    • Some vignetting wide-open, guessing somewhere between ½ and 1 stop.
    • The lens is larger than I expected, but handling is fine. Turning the manual focus ring is a lot smoother than on my non-ART 19mm and 30mm Sigmas, where the focussing ring tends to be sticky. Manual focus is doable but this fly-by-wire is nowhere as comfortable as focussing a legacy lens.
    • Focussing speed seems OK, feels a little bit faster than the Sigma 30/2.8. No PDAF, or so it seems because the option to turn the PDAF grid on is disabled when this lens is mounted.
    • Close focussing is limited, max. reproduction ratio is around 1:7. Not a macro lens by any stretch of the imagination.
    • Lens hood included. Nice! The lens cap offers very good grip on the center pinch handles. All three E-mount Sigma lenses have the same filter thread diameter of 46mm, comes in handy when using filters. Won't use it, but a nice pouch is also included.
    • The silver lens looks very shiny, I think a black one would look better on the NEX-6. Having said that, I couldn't care less.
    • If the lens holds up during more challenging tests, it's incredible value for money IMHO.

To be continued...

13. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

hey, that sounds great, I have seen some photos on the web and it seems to work very well, expect to see some pictures of you very soon. My piggy bank is almost ready, so now waiting for the 35mm f1.8

Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN Art Lens for Nex 7 Portraiture | Photocine News

14. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thanks for that report addieleman.
    Sounds like the lens made a very favourable impression on you.

I had a call today to tell me the lens is now in hand at the shop, but with the bank holiday I can't get to it until next Wednesday. Oh well, I've waited all this time so another few days won't hurt.

I'm very much looking forward to the continuation of your test.

Thanks again.

Rich. :)

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well then, here's more. I didn't manage to get any worthwhile shots so far, only boring test shots including the ever-exciting brick-wall-test.

I continue to be impressed with this lens. Even with more difficult subjects it remains sharp across the frame wide-open and improves only a little bit on stopping down. Wide-open there is some purple fringing visible, requiring a purple hue amount of 3 in Lightroom to go away, which is quite moderate. At f/4 a purple hue amount of 2 is sufficient and at f/5.6 the defringe dropper color didn't color purple. The images have a real bite to them, my standard sharpening is a bit overdone for this lens.

In the brick-wall test shots the pincushion distortion is again visible; not a big deal IMHO, because probably a profile will become available in Lightroom. I have the impression that the distortion is less at longer distances. Bokeh is OK for me, but it's not really smooth, some onion-ring features are visible in bright lights. Some faint ghosts are visible with bright lights in the image, I'd say ghosting is rather low; that said, I'm not very sensitive to that.

I'm not sure the 60mm focal length will work for me, but I am a sucker for really sharp lenses and this is one sharp lens for an almost unbeatable price.

Here you'll find full-size jpeg samples. Processing was done in Lightroom, with automatic removal of chromatic aberration, but no manual defringe applied.

16. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Certainly sounds like my kind of lens Ad. Sharp is what I need and 60 is a good length for me although I can make 50 work. wide aperture isn't paramount and stabilisation isn't important to me.

Look forward to the next instalment!

17. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Managed to get to LCE to try the lens today. I stuck it on the NEX6 and went for a walk round town. Unfortunately they didn't have the 50, so I couldn't do any kind of comparison.

I agree with all of Ads findings. Most notably it is sharp (very sharp) corner to corner. Distortion isn't too bad, it'll be nice when we get some LR profiles for it. My only (minor) criticisms would be, closer and quicker focus would be nice.

For the price I'll go ahead and buy it for the sharpness alone, as that is the main criteria for me. I'll have a close look at the Zeiss 50 when it comes out though. Apparently that isn't due until November though.

So, thats me happy now NEX6 CZ 24 and Sigma 60. Thats about all I need. :)

18. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I was looking at Ming Thein's macro shot comparison and Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro was beating Zeiss zf 50mm f/2 macro on corners at f/2.8. And the comparison of this Sigma 60mm to Oly 60mm, Sigma looked better wide open on the corners. I don't know how that apply to Sony nex, but I assume Sigma lens is very sharp like Sigma 30mm. Too bad it is not a macro lens like Sigma dp3 lens. I guess Sigma didn't want to compete with the coming Touit 50mm macro:)

19. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Its interesting how different people compare lenses. I know a lot of people make comparisons and decisions based on the widest setting results. For the work I do I have to use a lens at 5.6 or 8, and so always base my decision on those settings. I guess there must be a lot of people who never use a setting of 8.

20. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I'm one of those people, which use most of lenses on wide open aperture. I don't care abou absolute sharpnes but I like feeling prosuced by open lens. When I shoot people (portraits), nice bokeh is required, sharpnes not.. Even when i shoot macro I set as wide aperture, as possible. When I'm near 1:1 ratio I set f8-f11, depend on what I shoot (ie flies need only f8, they have lot of "hairs", which makes feeling of sharpnes; shiny skiny beetles
    need more depth of field...f11)
    I will jave never buy lens like this sigma, when there is something like Canon fl 58/1.2 for $200. Yes, it is possible to close aperture to 2,8, if it is possible... but why, when we are at cca 1:7 reproduction ratio? As I said above, macro is another story and 2.8 lens is wide enough... Yes, if AF is required, thats something else.
    And I use f8....when shooting landscape with no rush elements! :)

Sent from my LG-P350 using TalkNEX mobile app