Sigma 30mm f/2.8 with NEX-C3

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by larrytxeast, Mar 30, 2013.

1. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    A couple of weeks ago, I got the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for $100 from a Fred Miranda seller. I also had the chance to get the 19mm f/2.8 for $90, but I didn't (last I checked, they still had it).

I've added some legacy glass, a Nikon Series E 75-150mm ($45) and Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 ($25) mainly for "bokeh portraits" but manual focusing can sometimes be a pain (although focus peaking has made it much better than I've experienced it otherwise) and the Sigma has been meant as an easier alternative (admittedly one with not as much bokeh). Maybe the Sony 50mm 1.8 would've been a better choice, but I decided to try the Sigma.

On an interesting footnote: I got this while on a trip and was passing through Atlanta GA where the seller was based, so I bought it in person vs buying it online and waiting for it to arrive. This allowed me to get it quicker in this case (the seller didn't take PayPal it wouldn't have arrived in time for the trip had I bought it online) and also the seller helped us get around what was a major mess in Atlanta, we hit it at 5 p.m. and it was pouring rain, traffic was awful. He helped us get around most of it, I decided I so appreciated that I would've bought it for him as a "thank you" even if I hadn't wanted the lens to start with.

However, as it turns out, it's working out well for me. Here are some shots I've gotten with it.

Our son in a Chick-Fil-A enjoying ice cream, an existing light ISO 800 shot wide-open (love how the background is blurred)

Same thing

Our son outdoors

Our daughter

A MAJOR goodie. I took this one at a weird angle with my right-arm stretched out & the camera at an extreme angle from me with me barely glancing at the LCD trying to capture what was a very fleeting pose, I doubt I'd gotten this shot if I had been fussing with legacy glass (shots where I'm more head-on, maybe I would've, but not this one)

I am loving the Sony NEX-C3 and the Sigma 30mm f/2.8, so glad I picked it up.